Aquarium crashed what to do next

Wastewater treatment in a multistage process. In the earlier stages nitrite levels are usually quite high. But as the water moves trhough the system they gave been reduced. At the earlier stages where the nitrite it highest the Nitrobacter dominate, but in the later stages when the nitrite levels are much lower, the Nitrospira dominates. So it is true both species are present in great numbers but not in the same place or time during the remediation process/

Similarly, there are more bacteria strains in soils and wastewater dealing with Nitrogen than in our tank biofilters. If one looks at what ammonia oxidizers are found in fresh vs. salt water, there are a greater variety of ammonia oxidizers in fresh water than there are in salt water.

When I first began reading research papers my thinking was the nitrifiers in soil, wastewater and aquariums were the same. I soon learned this they were different. This doesn't mean some strains might be found in all three areas. But which ones dominated was usually different and some were unique to each of the different environments.

Over the years on a variety of sites I have read a lot of misinformation regarding the nitrifying bacteria and now the ammonia oxidizing Archaea as well.

I joined this site in 2004 and had to walk away for a number of years until the ownership/management changed, I returned because of the Scientific Section. i was engaged in discussions about bottled bacteria with most posters claiming they did not work. It was back then that I found Dr. Hovanec and his papers. I even exchanged a few emails with him. At htat tine this forum had a plethora of posts about members who had problems with fishless cycling. The articles on it her were awful. So I offered to redo them. As you can see the three main ones were written by me.

I actually had to create some of the charts etc. because most of what existed at the time was related to fish in cycling which I dislike. After my articles replaced the older ones I began to notice a drop in the posts about stalled cycles. Over time there were very few. I also was, and still am, willing to walk people through doing a fishless cycle step by step. I am able to do a fish in cycle properly and without causing any harm to the fish. I do not do them because of one basic fact. I am not perfect, i do make mistakes. A mistake in a fish in cycle means fish either suffer or die.

Most people have issues doing a fishless cycle for one reason, they are getting advice from multiple sources. Since that advice tends to be different it only helped to confuse people, especially those newer to the hobby. What I told such folks was that they should pick on person to whom they would listen and ignore the rest. That way they would either learn that person knew what they were talking about and the cycle would happen as it should. If the cycled did not go correctly they would at least learn to whom they should not listen.

What I told those who chose to use me as their guide through cycling was not to use prime for nitrite but to add salt. i even did the calculation for them. Nobody ever lost fish and nobody ever need extra time to complete the cycle, The one thing I will not do is walk people through a fish in cycle. I will help folks who get into trouble doing one. Hence the two articles here in rescuing a fish-in cycle gone wild.

I do not mind how you choose to do things if you believe they work for you. What, I do not accept when anybody posts incorrect information. Most of what I know about cycling and the microorganisms involved I learned from PhD microbiologists and from reading peer reviewed published scientific papers. This is why you will see all the paper I reference in my posts. it is also why I am happy to admit i am incorrect in something as long as what somebody state to the contrary thay support with similar evidence. So far you have not done this so i am not willing to accept what you have posted.

The facts are simple. Using a dechlor which also detoxifies ammonia slows down a cycle. It does this because the ammonia is not neutralized, it is temporarily converted to ammonium. The bacferia in our filters are evplved to process ammonia, NH3, and thy do this pretty efficiently. Some of them do not use ammonium, NH4, as they lack receptor for doing so, But others of them do and can use NH4. The problem is they do so less efficiently. because of this it cause a cycle to take longer.

You suggest that Prime helps fiwht nitrite. yet no science exoists to confirm or even expalin this. Here is what Seachem states about this in the FAQ section for Prime:

How does Prime® make a difference in reducing nitrates?

A: The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime® (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.

I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime® they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

The above is not science it is anecdotal evidence. I can fidn all sorts of science to support the role of chloride in how it deals with nitrite and none at all to syupport the SeaChem claims. But I would suggest that if one slows the rate of ammonia conversion to nitrite this means nitrite is created more slowly and thus also builds up to lower levels. lets not forget that as long as there is detectable ammmonia or nitrite in a tank that the bacteria will be multiplying to handle it. So this would explain why the prime cuctomers reported theY experienced reduce or eliminate the high death rates . What they could not report was any internal damege the fish may have had which shrotened their lives. Anecdotal evidence is not scientific evidence. Bear in mind SeaChem's goal is to sell their products.

It is why they tell people heir bott;le of spores is better than the real nitrifying bacteria that end up in tanks dose with Stability. Where is the scientific support for this claim. It does not exist. To my knowledge there have been only two major discovereies relating to the mircorganisms dealing with ammonia nad nitrite since Dr. Hovenec and the other scientis who were involved in the reaserch identified. His is not the only name on the ammonia and nitrite papers.

One was the discovery of ammonia oxidizing Archaea on the underside of a rock in a public sawltwater aquarium, The second was the accidental discover in a tank in the basement of a university which belonged to the scientist doing research in the floors above of straims of Nitrospira able to process ammonia straight to nitrate. I have read both of the papers an subsequent one which built on these discoveries. In one of the last Email exchanges I had with Dr. Hovanec he informed me that his One and Only now contains some of the ammonia oxidizing Archaea.

A few summers ago my cish club sponsered a group a kids aged 10-12 involved with a regional 4H club who wanted to get into fish keeping keeping. Their parents were involved. At no cost to them the club set them all up with a 10 gal, tank, all the needed equipment and supplied them with fish and love plants. At the organizational meeting a asked one Q, were we expecting the kids to start by cycoing their tanks which would have waste 1/3 of the summer. The result was I got Swiss Tropicals to donate a cubfilter for each tank which I then cycled in advance so that the kids just dumped the mulm in the bag into the tank and then put in the cycled filter from the bag.. They were told to pour the mulm into the tanks and then to add the filter.

I stopped cycling tanks years ago when I was having to cycle 8 -12 tanks all at the same time. Instead of cycling the tanks, I set up a bio-farm to cycle filters. I was able to do this in 12-14 days. It is alot easier to do this than to cucle that many tanks. This is especially true if all of the tanks will not be stocked at the same time. I dosed the ammonia into the single bio-farm and kept doing so until all the filters wernt into the ir resepective tanks which were stocked within 24 hours of the filters going into them. Towards the end of getting all of the filters cycled I was adding 25+ ppm of ammonia to the farm every day- but not all at once, it was done in multiple smaller amounts 2-3 times.day. I normally used a 40B tank to cycle 12-14 Poret foam cubefilters all at the same time.

I am much more knowledgeable about cycling realated issues than I am about a large number of specific fish or species. I know a lot about the fish I keep or have kept but very little about those I have not done so.

I will repeat this yet one more time. What Dr. Hovanec and Tetra sell is a bottle of living bacteria some of which are Nitrospira. What is in Stability are spores. The nitrifying bacteria in our biofilters do not form spores. Seachem actually lies about things in their info on Stability. They claim lkive bacteria in a bottle need food. This is not true. In the bottle the bacteria are in a state of dormancy. You can read about this on Dr. Tim's site here. Warnoing of yu believe him, then you cannot believe some of what SeaChem claims.
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/blog/nitrifying-bacteria-arent-human/

SeaChem claims:



Here is what Dr. Tim says and which there is a plethora of science to support.


Is is any wonder that I distrust Satability and what SeaChem states about the actual bacteria we need and will have in pour dfilters in spite of when one adds the wrong things. In the end, the nitrifiiers always colonize.
I feel like getting somebody to do a 16S rRNA gene sequencing on stability now. I found somebody that would do it for $45.

1000024261.jpg


I emailed to see if the offer of $45 is legit and am waiting on a reply.

My only worry is the inhibitor used by seachem and if it will mess up the process.

I dont believe it has nitrifying bacteria but actually denitrifying bacteria but am really curious now. Maybe their inhibitor can do miracles on nitrifying bacteria but i have never had the effect using it that one would expect with nitrifying bacteria so i dont think it does but it would be interesting to know.

Regardless the Prime/Stability method is proven (by me and many others) and ive never lost a fish using it. I cant say the same for the salt method.

If yall dont want me to help people already doing that method thats fine i wont.. lol

Im not too keen on going against everyone but i feel like yall refuse to believe it works just because seachem got lucky with prime and wont disclose the contents of stability. I have used it repeatedly and know its the future of fish in cycle.

Ive also done Prime/Safestart Plus fish in cycles and never lost a fish.

Usually though i just use a spong filter i leave tucked in a plant in my main display nowadays just to have it in case i feel froggy and see something i dont wanna leave the local fish store without; which happens more than i want to admit. I still dose Prime though until i verify the cycle.

Dominick
 
Last edited:
@Country joe … you have apparently run into 2 members with differing, and strong opinions…

my best suggestion, is remember ( I know you are from another country ) we have an old saying here… “there is more than one way to skin a cat” ( please don’t take it litterally )

but, often times there are several ways to fix a problem… I have no doubt one or either, or a combination, would work out over time…
 
I am coming back to this thread because there is a big difference in what I stated and what Aquaria pro said. I will start by reminding folks of the first line in my signature: “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I offdered a lot of science and APA offered none. I wonder why he cannot produce any science to support what he is stating. I wonder if he has read a single speer reviewed scientific paper on this topic. I have folders filled with links to papers on this topic. I have a few 100 links dealing with the bacteria and when it was discovered there are ammonia oxidizing Archaea I have a lot of papers on them as well.

I have been battling the big aquarium myths one this topic for years. I read the science not the BS put out by people who have never done so,

If you ask the Google AI about nitrobacter vs nitrospira they still get it wrong.

But a lot of what we thought we knew about the process changed with the discovery of Comammox Nitrospira. These are able to convert ammonia directlyy to nitrate. This discovery also explains why prior research found that the ammonia oxidizing bacteria were present in lower numbers than would be expected. I was puzzled be there results until science discovered two new facts relating to the cyling bacteria.

The first was the discovery in a public aquarium that there were Archaea which oxidised ammonia. These mircorganisim are able to thruve when ammonia levels are pretty low, which the are in aquariums. (this is compared to waste water treatment where Nitrite levels are so high that the Nitrobacteria dominate.) But the discovery of the comammox nitrospira was even more relative.

The one caveat here is that the comammox nitrospira take longer to colonize than other Nitrospira strains. But we must remember that the bacteria in tanks that are important are the ones which persist over time. So, in a new tank with ammonia sufficiently high, higger levels of nitrite will occur. And this might support nitrobacter very early on. However, as the two nitrospira strains begin to colonize as the nitrite levels begin to lower, they are the ones that persist while the nitrobacter mostly or completely disappear. This is exactly what Dr. Hovanec et al discovered and published in 1998. This paper has been cited at least 284 times since then including in 2026. Also, Google Scholar lists 10 pages of papers considered as being "Related article."

I cannot find a single reseqach paper which supports the SeaChem claims about their bacteria or about Prime detoxifying nitrite or nitrate. And neither can Seachem. And I have looked for one such paper for close to 20 years now.

Also, I get denitrification in my tanks with Mattenfilters. This is being done by facultative bacteria. These can "work" in bothe aerobic and anaerobic conditions. WHen there is no oxygen present they ae able to use Nitrate. When the do this the result is nitrogen gas.

If you really want to understand nitrite and how chloride can block it, have a read of this paper:

Kroupova, H., Machova, J. and Svobodova, Z., 2005. Nitrite influence on fish: a review. Veterinarni medicina-praha-, 50(11), p.461.
(Bolding below done by me)

ABSTRACT: Nitrite is an intermediate in the oxidation of ammonium to nitrate. An elevated ambient nitrite con-
centration is a potential problem for freshwater fish since nitrite is actively taken up across the gills in competition
with chloride. Nitrite is a well-known toxicant for fish as well as a disrupter of multiple physiological functions
including ion regulatory, respiratory, cardiovascular, endocrine and excretory processes. One critical consequence
of nitrite accumulation is the oxidation of haemoglobin to methaemoglobin, compromising blood oxygen transport.
Nitrite toxicity to fish varies considerably and depends on a large number of external and internal factors. Among
the most important ones are water quality (e.g. pH, temperature, cation, anion and oxygen concentration), length
of exposure, fish species, fish size and age, and individual fish susceptibility. Chloride concentration in water is
considered one of the most important factors influencing nitrite toxicity to fish.
The importance of individual
factors is assessed and re-evaluated continuously.

Full paper here: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...44@1547714122149/download/nitrosofication.pdf
 
Fritz Turbo Start is a quality cycle additive. It's going to be in the fridge section.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top