Do Corys school???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Awwww, they look lovely. :) It's always such a heart-warming sight to see lots of cories like that. I have 7 bronze cories myself, they're a pleasure to watch together. If only I could have in more...

In my opinion, only the smallest cories even go in a 15g. This is not only because of the fact that they school, but they're lively swimmers as well and like enough space to explore. For larger ones, like my bronze cories, I recommend at least 20g.

Hi JobySp :)

Your little corys are so sweet! :wub: I'm glad that everyone can see that corys do school together. :nod:

But why do you have them separated from your mollies? :dunno:

petitericeball said:
just wondering can cories from diff ages and diff species school together? or will it be like gang wars?
Hi petitericeball :)

As you can see in the picture, there are several different kinds of corys hanging out together. :thumbs: I've never heard of anyone having problems with that.

Corys are kind of mix and match fish. It's good to have several of each kind, but even if you don't, they all get along. :D

I have several "loners," that I picked up when they were the only ones left in the tank at my lfs. When I see this, I'm afraid that they will end up in someone's tank as the only cory, so I buy them. They seem happy just to be with the other corys, but if the lfs ever has more of those kinds, I'll get them. :nod:

Age doesn't matter at all! :no:

Perky said:
I think you could put 4 Pygmaeus Corys in a 10 Gallon.
Not sure
yeah theorically its so. But when you really keep them in a 10 gal.. it looks VERY empty. i think u're safe even with 10

But why do you have them separated from your mollies?
I only kept mollies in the other side because the gravel was different - sad I know.
Luck for the Corys - I wanted to have a bash at breeding them, and because I have to drop the temperature considerably, I decided to give the mollies a little more room :)

Now the corys can roam free.... Shame the tank looks a little stupid with 4/5 sand and 1/5 black gravel!

More info...

Currently in there there are 5 different cory breeds.

Albino
Bronze (although they are really the same as Albino so I believe?)
False Bandit
Panda
Spotted

Sadly I have only managed to come across four of the species on a regular basis, but I visit differet LFS every fortnight or so so I may be lucky. There are some different ones in an LFS in Bolton, but i am looking at paying upwards of £10 each for some of them. :(

Even though I have spent over £1,000 with them in 6 months - they won't budge and give em a discount.. Cheeky monkeys!

I too have decided to collect corys... I currently have 8 different types :)

In answer to the questions...

I don't know the size a fry tank would need to be but I suppose the bigger the better. As for how many - that just depends on what Corys you get. You could get more Pygmy Cories in a tank than you could any other :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back