Do ADF's "need" pellets?

Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my African Dwarf Frogs a combo of frozen daphnia, brine shrimp, blood worms and amphibigold pellets on different days. I soak the pellets overnight and mash them up before feeding as they're far too big otherwise, but the frogs just spit them out. They don't spit out any other food. My question is must they have some sort of pellet food order the frozen foods sufficient? Happy to try another pellets food if there's a good one out there.

Pellets a re sold for our convenience, not for their needs directly. They're opportunistic omnivores with a preference for insects, shrimps, etc. So as long as the diet reflects that, they should be good. Every insect eater eats the insect's last meal, and they seem to need some vegetable matter, and roughage.

Pellets a re sold for our convenience, not for their needs directly. They're opportunistic omnivores with a preference for insects, shrimps, etc. So as long as the diet reflects that, they should be good. Every insect eater eats the insect's last meal, and they seem to need some vegetable matter, and roughage.
I put algae wafers in but think the snails get those tbh as never see the frogs near them but who knows what goes on when I'm not around!

I haven't kept adfs in decades, but it always seemed to me that they liked chunky food, not wafers that get powdery fast. It's the veggie component they get from the pellet food in most set ups.

I haven't kept adfs in decades, but it always seemed to me that they liked chunky food, not wafers that get powdery fast. It's the veggie component they get from the pellet food in most set ups.
Yeah they go mad for the brine shrimp and bloodworms, I notice a little less keen on daphnia but that's a bit more bitty so maybe that's why. I might phase out these pellets as they're clearly not keen!

I feed fish a lot of live daphnia. I find when it freezes, you get what looks like a lot of shell and not a lot of anything else. It's like frozen brine shrimp - the soft parts fracture with eh freezing, and the crunchy bits stay behind.

I feed fish a lot of live daphnia. I find when it freezes, you get what looks like a lot of shell and not a lot of anything else. It's like frozen brine shrimp - the soft parts fracture with eh freezing, and the crunchy bits stay behind.
Don't really have anywhere to keep live foods - live in a flat with no outdoor access! I've not found any issues with my brine shrimp touch wood, I get the blister packs of my frozen foods from the same supplier in the UK.

Most reactions

trending

Back