Diy Sponge Filter For Guppy Fry Tank

Bubble.Guppy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I found a really nice cylinder jar at the thrift store that holds about 6 gallons of water or so. I have my new born guppy fry in there with a bubbler/airstone and a live plant. Every night I siphon out the waste that settles at the bottom with a hose or turkey baster and replace with treated water.

I have seen and heard about inexpensive sponge filters that you can use with an airstone as a basic filter setup.

Looking for some thrifty DIY ideas that are inexpensive for this little project. Any suggestions or ideas?

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Just buying one, non-DYI is really affordable. Just a few dollars really. You can get sponge filters from Amazon for like $4 and then you just need an air pump. 

OP
B

Bubble.Guppy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
tcamos said:
Just buying one, non-DYI is really affordable. Just a few dollars really. You can get sponge filters from Amazon for like $4 and then you just need an air pump. 

I love amazon and saw some of their nifty sponge filters they have available. The shipping time for receiving it was a little longer than I wanted... My fry nursery needed a filter asap.

After a little research, I was able to craft a sponge filter with some materials I had at work and bought a 3 dollar sponge at my LFS. Worked out perfectly and just in time!

Attachments

• 20150930_001629.jpeg
    20150930_001629.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 340

Chad

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ah, I'm a Prime member so it's always 2 days shipping for me and since we have an Amazon warehouse here it's usually even faster. 

OP
B

Bubble.Guppy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I love amazon prime but do not currently have it. Otherwise I hardcore shop prime items hehe!
Thx for the quick feedback!

Chad

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yes, it's an addiction. 
I do believe PetCo also sells those sponge filters. Making your own might be a little tricky because they do use a sponge of a certain porosity so that the air flows properly and they are also non-toxic. 

trending

Members online

Most reactions - Past 7 days