Diy Sponge Filter For Guppy Fry Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bubble.Guppy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I found a really nice cylinder jar at the thrift store that holds about 6 gallons of water or so. I have my new born guppy fry in there with a bubbler/airstone and a live plant. Every night I siphon out the waste that settles at the bottom with a hose or turkey baster and replace with treated water.

I have seen and heard about inexpensive sponge filters that you can use with an airstone as a basic filter setup.

Looking for some thrifty DIY ideas that are inexpensive for this little project. Any suggestions or ideas?
drinks.gif
thanks.gif

Just buying one, non-DYI is really affordable. Just a few dollars really. You can get sponge filters from Amazon for like $4 and then you just need an air pump. 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
tcamos said:
Just buying one, non-DYI is really affordable. Just a few dollars really. You can get sponge filters from Amazon for like $4 and then you just need an air pump. 

I love amazon and saw some of their nifty sponge filters they have available. The shipping time for receiving it was a little longer than I wanted... My fry nursery needed a filter asap.

After a little research, I was able to craft a sponge filter with some materials I had at work and bought a 3 dollar sponge at my LFS. Worked out perfectly and just in time!
smile.png

Attachments

• 20150930_001629.jpeg
    20150930_001629.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 451
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah, I'm a Prime member so it's always 2 days shipping for me and since we have an Amazon warehouse here it's usually even faster. 

I love amazon prime but do not currently have it. Otherwise I hardcore shop prime items hehe!
Thx for the quick feedback!

Yes, it's an addiction. 
I do believe PetCo also sells those sponge filters. Making your own might be a little tricky because they do use a sponge of a certain porosity so that the air flows properly and they are also non-toxic. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back