DIY CO2 System

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

charlie_fish

Reaction score
Hi, :p
I have a 18 x 12 x 24 inch tank, i think its 20 gallon! :blink: I am goin to set up a DIY CO2 system as I am goin to plant up my aquarium soon. Can anyone tell me about the success they have had with the DIY system and possibly show me some before and after pics and give me some ideas on a suitable reactor to use - i dont now wether to use a diffuser bell or a plastic tube or what??
Please help!!
Charlie

Hi there, I use the DIY method on 2 of my tanks, and it works great :) I dont have any before and after pics, but there is a recent pic f my tank in the 'members aquarium photographs' forum.

What kind of filter do u have on the tank ? If u have some sort of powerhead then u can feed the airline under the intake so the airbubbles get sucking into the filter and then mashed up by the impeller, another method is an upturned bowl to 'catch' the bubbles and hold them under the water to diffuse. If u can get/have got a proper diffuser bell allready then that would be best.

Dont forget that Co2 is only 1 ingredient to a sucessful planted tank! B)

Stix
Im using a fluval 2 internal filter. I know that the plants will need adequate lighting, can u tell me what sort of light I will need for sucessful growing? :nod: I am hoping to grow, Java Moss, Java Fern, Vallis, Bacopa and maybe a sword fern (but these can be touchy!) and maybe some Indian Water Star. I am goin to use silver sand as a substrate and use peat and fertiliser tabs in pots for the plants. Will this be suffcient? Please give me some ideas for which light I should be using, Thanks.
Charlie :p

A good amount of light to aim for is 2watts per gallon, so u want about 40 watts on ur tank :) U can use any tubes, but there are a couple designed to help plants grow such as the interpet triton (my personal fav.)

The plants will do better taken out of the pots, and also a liquid fertiliser would be helpfull aswell as the root tabs.

Davey is right on the money with the DIY CO2.
Its cheap, easy, and best of all it works great. I have 2 sword plants that have been there about a week or so....they both have new growth and all the plants have nice roots.
I personally run 2 2 liter bottles on mine but for a 20 gallon 1 2liter bottle will be more than enough. As far as feeding the plants I have plenty of fish so there is always enough food and I leave my lights on about 12 hours a day.
IMHO DIY is the only way to go.

HTH

Les

Thanks for the info, how can I double my light output? I am using a 15W bulb at the mo with fake plants and a couple of real ones (which arent doin to well) I am using an arcadia fluroscent controller, would i have to use a reflector and how much does this cost and is it easily installed? :blink: Im very confused, there is alot to think about when succesfully growin plants!!

Thanks for ur help ;)
Charlie

Charlie, if your wanting to do a reflector for you light the best thing is to get some regular tin foil from your kitchen and wrap the inside of the housing where the bulb goes. I think that may be the reason I am doing so good with mine even though I am running about 70 watts light compared to what everyone says. The reason I havent gotten stronger bulbs is because I will have to get a different hood for my tank to do so.
There are alot of really nice lighting systems out there and maybe one day I will break down and get me one............naaaaaaaaaaa who am I kidding, I will build me a new hood and make it big enough for high powered lights.....lol
If you are serious about doing a CO2 for your tank all you would need is a 2 liter bottle, some air line, an air stone, and ove of those one way valves. Get some regular bakers yeast and sugar and mix it 2 cups sugar to a teaspoon or so of yeast and fill the bottle to the tp of the bottles label and let nature do the rest.

If you have any questions gimme a shout and I will help as much as possible

Les

Thanks Les, :D
Will the tin foil thing really work? I currently only have 15W lighting my tank, i dont think this will b enough for success with plants is it? Will the tin foil double light output? I have been looking at reflector systems and they are quite cheap - about £6.00 and will put my light output up to 30 watts or 40 watts if i get a higher wattage bulb. I am gonna go for the CO2, Im goin to set up the tank this weekend, just need a trip to my local fish store! Thanks 4 ur help
Charlie

Hi

My tank is 33" long and has built in lighting in the hood.
At the moment i have 2 x 20w tubes. one is a sun-glo and the other a power-glo tube...

so that equals 40w light, is this enough for optimum plant growth? i cant replace the hood as its all built in. i dont think i can get a higher watt tube? the tank is a hagen tropiquarium 88

would two power-glo's be better than the current combination?

also i'm very interested in a CO2 system. any one used a none canister style? by which i mean it sources the CO2 from the air via some fancy tech?

thank you

Charlie, If you can get a reflector for that kind of money I would say go for it. I have never seen anything like that around my area thats why I went with the tin foil and it works great for me. With my CO2 and lights reflected my plants are all doing pretty good......all have real nice roots and I am pleased.

GraemeK, sounds like you and me are in the same boat. I have 2 aqua-glo lights that are 20 watts apiece and I have been unable to find any more wattage and as I stated I get pretty good growth.

also i'm very interested in a CO2 system. any one used a none canister style? by which i mean it sources the CO2 from the air via some fancy tech?

I have to say you go t me there. I am not real sure as to what you are talking about........Please elaborate as to this as it sounds interesting

HTH

Les

its called:

Carbo Plus Electronic CO2 System
Carbon Dioxide Supply without Gas Bottles

The Zac Carbo Plus consists of an electronic controller which is fitted outside of the aquarium, and a Stainless Steel and Carbon Sandwich which sits in the water.

Guarantee : 2 years on the control unit, 6 months on the sandwich

Please note : the carbon plate is considered a "Consumable Item" by the manufacturer and is therefore not covered under any granted guarantee

and heres a link to the site with a pic

any thoughts? seems like a good price also

Those are nice looking set ups but I guess I am too cheap. I set mine up for 10.00 USD or about 6.00 GBP and its next to nothing to refill. If you are wanting to avoid the tanks of fermenting liquid then I would say go that way.
Please dont get me wrong, There are alot of great ways of getting CO2 into your tank and those are but a few. But in reality Id rather spend my money on new tanks and higher quality filtration systems.....JMHO

Les

Hey GraemeK,

Do you know how much the nutrafin 'natural plant system' costs, it looks pretty good, and the results are amazing! Thanks :D

Charlie :p

i'm quite amazed if this is right, £15.99

Hagen A-7690 CO2 Natural Plant System

Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System

"Release the Natural Beauty of your Planted Aquarium"

A beautifully planted aquarium creates a stunning focal point for any setting. Live aquatic plants bring a living, breathing, exquisite part of nature into your home.

* It's easy... The CO2 Natural Plant System helps you achieve beautiful, thriving live aquatic plants, and ultimately, a healthier aquarium.
* Visible results in just 15 days... when comparing plant systems using CO2 versus those that don't, the differences are very apparent. Most rapid growth plants obtaining CO2 injection, are more lush, colourful and grow faster

How it works

This system is designed to supply any aquarium with a safe, economical, and efficient method of providing nature's most powerful carbon source for plants. Employing a natural fermentation process for CO2 eliminates the need for inconvenient pressurized cylinders. It allows quick, easy, and affordable refills of ingredients to provide continuous CO2 for a 3-4 week period. The special fermentation canister was developed to support consistent carbon dioxide output.

Designed with Safety in mind

The fermentation process creates pressure, which in turn pushes the CO2 bubbles into the aquarium. A patented "Pressure - Release Safety Cover" was designed to prevent the internal pressure in the canister from exceeding safe levels.

The System:

# All-natural Activator and Stabilizer ingredients are added to sugar and water in the Fermentation Canister.
# Once sealed, fermentation commences. As CO2 forms, pressure builds, creating CO2 bubbles that travel through CO2 -resistant tubing into the aquarium.
# There, the bubbles encounter the CO2 Bubble Counter/Diffuser, the key to efficient CO2 diffusion into the water. The CO2 bubble follows a patented 3-Dimensional, extended path. As it travels within the unique matrix, the bubble becomes smaller and smaller, finally disappearing almost entirely. This indicates that CO2 has fully dissipated into the water.

For Uniform Release of CO2

* The Activator contains specially selected micro-organisms which trigger alcoholic fermentation of the sugar and create reliable production of CO2.
* The Stabilizer slows down and prolongs reaction time, to support consistent performance.

Replacement Activator and Stabilizer packets guarantee the integrity and performance of the CO2 Natural Plant System.

Price: £15.99

Most reactions

trending

Back