DIY CO2 System

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i'm going to purchase the hagen unit tomorrow...for the price it seems to be a bargan! Also my PH is naturally high where i live so the extra CO2 will be an added bonus.

Mr V,
You say you use gelitan, Does this help in the Co2 process or is it so that the mixture is thicker and reduces spills. I would be interested in knowing more about your method. How much sugar, yeast, gelitan and water. Mine does pretty good but you always seem on top of your game and it never hurts to learn from a pro :D :D

Les

Wow :eek: - £15.99 is a really good price!! Thats amazing, I think I might have to buy it! GraemeK have you bought it yet, was that really the price? its unbelievable

Charlie :)

i checked it out today in my local store...its £20! its £15.99 on the web.
they have it running in one of their tanks and seen cool results.
i'm purchasing it tomorrow because for the price i cant fault it. if it dont work its no great loss!

£20 is still really good! :hyper: You are from Essex arent u? Im from suffolk, pretty close 2 u then!! I am gonna go check it out tomorrow and buy it, it seems a really good price compared to the £90 systems which probably do just the same. they were usin it in a fully planted up tank right? Do u roughly know what size it was and were the results impressive?
Charlie :p

Sorry i've not been aroud for a couple of days, but i'll try to catch up!

GraemeK - The nutrafin system is basically the same as the DIY method. Alot of people actually buy the kit, then use the sugar yeast method with the bottle and equiptment supplies instead of buying the 'proper' refills. It is a pretty good price, £20 being average in the shops. If I remember rightly, each kit does upto 20US gallons.

Les - The idea of the gelitan in the DIY method is to in theory give a steady release of Co2 into the tank. The way this works is by mixing the sugar into the jelly mix and letting it set, then when u add the yeast and top-up water, it slowly eats into the gelitan/sugar mixture to give a more steady production of Co2. I have tried this method myself but found little difference in the efficency to the non jelly method, but was much more messing around to prepare, so I still use the conventional way.

charlie - Yes the reflectors are pretty cheap, as u mentioned £6 which is sightly cheaper than what I paid for mine! The only proplem with using foil is over time it goes a dark grey color and loses its shineyness, I think its because of the water vapor under the hood.

There is another Co2 system which is by far superior IMO, altho it may prove difficult to get hold of! Its the sochting carbonator, u can see a picture of it here and some info here. It goes inside the tank, so no airlines, etc. One carbonator does upto 250 liters! These work by a chemical reaction, rather then by frementation like in the DIY method. Each refill lasts for around 1 month, The carbonator itself is normally around £25 and the refills are around £6 for a pack of 2, but I think they are well worth the money. There are no online stores that sell them (that i know of) so if u are lucky enough to have a lfs that sells them then I would deffinatly get one.

And if any of u are interested, my recipie for the DIY is 2 cups of sugar dissolved in around 2/3 of the bottles capacity, then allow it to cool , then mix 1/4 teaspoon of yeast to some warm water and fill to around 3-4" below the top.

Your mix is close to mine Stix..... How long you does you mix last with a 1/4 teaspoon. I have been using about about a teaspoon or better and I get anywhere from 10 day s to 2 weeks. I am always open to suggestion

Les

I get around a month out of a mix m8, the more yeast - the quicker it will use up the sugar. This will make more Co2 but over a lesser period of time

Lucky for me I am redoing my CO2 today, I decided to rebuild it completely so I could take pics and I plan on doing a how too full of pics and everything.....so I will cut back on my yeasty and go from there

Les

You say you use gelitan, Does this help in the Co2 process or is it so that the mixture is thicker and reduces spills

Yep, Stix already told the reason: Gelatin/sucar mixture slows down fermentation and you can follow how much yeast has "eaten" jelly - how much jelly is left until you need to make new bottle.

Charlie,

I bought the unit today...the tank its on in the shop had a few plants as it was a small tank but i was told the plant has grown double its size in two weeks!
anyway...i've set it up and within a hour i had CO2 coming out!
i'm looking forward to the results.

the unit comes with 3 months suppy and is good for upto 20us gal. my tank is 33gl though so i may have to add another unit in time.

GraemeK,

I bought the nutrafin system on Monday and have had it goin, its bubbling really well now!! Have u noticed any results yet? My plants are very lush and green, Ill try and get a pic! I think it will improve plant growth loads, just gotta wait for a few weeks for any really noticable results. How long have u had it now, any results yet?
Charlie :p

i've had the system since saturday and yeah i cen see a differance. I'm not sure of the names but two new leafs are growing and the faster plants are increasing in height. i'm not sure how much is down to the CO2 though because i've increased the lighting with two new tubes and satrted feeding with root tabs and liquid fert.

my problem is still light though, i cant get any more into the tank without ripping the custom hood apart! which i might have to do. the amazon swords arent looking that great evening though i placed tones of tabs round the roots...
i really need better lighting and a better substrate for plants! oh well its my first go!

gerber,

I really look forward to you posting the how to on the DYI. I am adding tablets right now but it is very expensive. I hope you get his done soon because it sounds much more economic. and I am egar to get my hands dirty so to speak.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back