Discus-Fish Medication Mistake?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cameronb_01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I went to feed my fish this morning and I noticed that one of them stayed in the corner looking sorry for himself while all the others busily rushed over to get their food. He was moving kind of slowly and didn't really eat enthusiastically even when a juicy blood-worm fell right in front of his face. I panicked and immediately put 18 Waterlife Octozin tablets into the tank, (which I think is the correct dosage for 450L): http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/waterlife-octozin-hole-in-the-head-and-bloat-treatment-review/

However, I was a complete idiot and only remembered afterwards that you were supposed to dissolve them in water first then pour that into the tank: will this have a negative repercussions?

Secondly: what would you say was wrong with the fish, should I take a different course of action?

Thirdly: will the medication alter the water parameters of my tank or have any other negative effects?

Best wishes,

Cameron

I do not know anything about the linked medication and have never used it. But it is a serious mistake to add any medication to an aquarium with any fish unless you know for a near certainty that it is necessary, and is the best treatment for the probable problem. Any and all additives to the tank water do stress fish, so the fewer the better. Stress is the direct cause of 95% of all fish disease.

The behaviour of the one discus could be any number of things. A water changes would be better treatment--and especially now that the tank is loaded with whatever is in the linked product. Then careful observation. It may be under bullying or harassment from the other discus. It may have some internal issue, genetic or protozoan.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back