Dipnetting

Rex740

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
907
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Florida
If anyone of you remember, I posted a topic asking about dipnetting and I said that I will inform you guys after my first dipnet trip. Well it has been months and I finally did it. The freshwater fish club was doing a scaveneger hunt instead of the usual dipnet. So I was paired with an expert and we went river to lake to river looking for the fish we need. It was pretty amazing. We started out in areas with some houses and eventually ended up in the Everglades Swamp. Unfortunately, since the competition took so long, the majority of the fish I caught died in the bucket before I can take them home. I would say 90%. Even more unfortunate is that all the cool, interesting, and colorful fish I got excited about are the ones that died. So, in the end I had a few to animals to add to my tank.

The animals that I can remember we caught were Gambusia (the average fish that no one wants), black and white spotted Gambusia (do not remember the name), Salvini Cichlids, Jaguar Cichlids, African Jewel Cichlids, Mollies, Blue Fin Killifish, Gold Spotted Killifish(Fundulus chrysotus), Everglades Pygmy Sunfish, American Flagfish, Sand Darters, Apple Snails, Ramshorn Snails, Grass Shrimp, and Crayfish. Out of all the fish (not including cichlids, as I gave them away) only 2 mollies, a pygmy sunfish, 2 sand darters, a bunch of flagfish, a female gold spot killifish (so no color...), and a female blue fin killifish (no color...) survived. Even so, some don't look to healthy after putting them in my tank. The club told me that not all the fish will survive once in the tank also. But the shrimp, being their tolerant invertebrate selves all survived except for one. I released some shrimp in my lake and ended up keeping 11 healthy ones. I got a giant apple snail (baseball sized) but I am giving that and a small apple snail to my marine science teacher. I did not want to deal with crayfish so I just released them.

Now, that is just me and my partner. Everyone had their own secret places to go to that they found from previous expeditions. I did not check everyone's fish, but when everyone met up I saw an Oscar (caught by rod), a bunch of large Hoplo catfish, Gobies, freshwater clams, Mayan Cichlids, and a little 2 inch Pleco my partner found. I'll keep this updated about the fish that are now in my tank.
 
Taking fish from the wild to keep in a tank is one thing, but to catch them just for them to die is quite another.
This kind of expedition should be prepared and planned so the fish will survive until they can be put into a tank. Sounds like a highly irresponsible fish club to me.
 
this is what u plan to do in mexico when i go, but I'll be doing it for 2 weeks :)

Do u have any photo's sounds like you had fun :)
 
Ellena: Me and my partner were new to the scavenger thing so he did not expect the club to be out with fish in buckets for so long. We kept changing the water but it did not help that much. None of the cichlids died though. We saw that people from the previous year brought portable bubblers. Now next time we will know what to do. We actually seemed to be the only group with a mass of dead fish... It really upsets me.

Helterskelter: I do not have any pictures of the trip. I found out that one of this forum's members, Trojannemo, was also on the scavenger hunt with me. He has some photos and will probably post them soon.

Ok, well, the results from the tank fish are that most survived. The pygmy sunfish and 2 flagfish are the only ones that died. All the other fish seem healthy, especially the 2 sand darters and 2 mollies. There is only one problem though. I fed my fish today flakes, and well, the new fish do not understand that flakes=food. They completely ignored it. How do I get them to understand it is food?
 
Trojannemo will be posting pictures of the dipnetting scavenger hunt soon. Might be tonight.
 
hey guys. finally found some time to write this down...

so i went to the same dipnetting "rodeo" event. at the time I didnt know Rex740 but now i do! anyways, as he mentioned we were split into different teams, i was in Team #1 with another club member, my better half, and Larry Colvin, the co-founder of the club...we were also the winning team! :hyper: :shifty:

anyways my fiancee is unofficially the club photographer as of last meeting, so she took plenty of pictures. i narrowed it down to 26 that i want to post...so let's see if the boards will let me:

group shot before separating into teams. i'm not in the picture (i was taking it!), and some other members arrived after the picture was taken, so add about 6-8 people more and that's the amount of attendees we had:
rodeo1.jpg


Location #1 - nice canal in residential area, caught some nice salvini, huge ramshorn snails and everything else that expect to find in canals down here. (gambusia, lucania goodei, etc)
rodeo2.jpg


Location #2 - another canal in a residential area. this one however was pretty bad as there were very few fish and very thick mats of some sort of plant in the water:
rodeo3.jpg


Checking the net...nothing good this time:
rodeo4.jpg


The thick mats of plants in the water, made it very difficult to catch anything at this location...
rodeo5.jpg


One of the items to collect was a rooted plant...the bigger the better...we won:
rodeo6.jpg


The "A-Team" as Larry called us...Cassian, Larry, and I (left to right):
rodeo7.jpg


Location #3 was a much bigger canal in the middle of busy streets...here I caught some nice gobies (won for size) and sunfish. also got a different type of ramshorn that was a dark red color.
rodeo8.jpg


Location #4 - another small residential canal, very shallow water. Here we caught a nice salvini and a couple of other small guys...
rodeo10.jpg


But what made this location special was the BIG pleco we spotted...here we were trying to catch it (no luck :-( )
rodeo9.jpg


Since we couldn't catch the pleco, here's a picture of it...sorry for the quality but it was through muddy water!
rodeo12.jpg


The nice salvini male we caught at this location...notice the unfortunate gambusia caught in the net with it:
rodeo11.jpg


Location #5 - this was a beautiful spot within a county park, CB Smith Park. Unfortunately an electrical storm was over us and we stayed literally for only 3 minutes. i still managed to catch my prize fish of the day, two beautiful Blue Spotted Sunfish (E. gloriosus)...I intend to go back for more:
rodeo13.jpg


Location #6 - one of the boat ramps on Alligator Alley. this is the second time I go dipnetting, and the second time i go here...it's a popular spot!
rodeo14.jpg


Location #6 directly on the left from the above picture. this side is much better as the vegetation is dense...you almost always get flag fish, bluefin killies or crayfish in this spot.
rodeo15.jpg


Location #7 - another boat ramp on Alligator Alley. this one is not nearly as good as the first...
rodeo16.jpg


....but if you know what you're doing you can always get something...here is a club officer who has a knack for catching larger fish (you'll see other pics of him later)...nice 6" oscar:
rodeo17.jpg


One thing we always catch even though we dont want to...snakes:
rodeo18.jpg


This was by far the largest apple snail collected - that is a standard 10gallon tank!
rodeo19.jpg


Judging the catch - notice the apple snail again...
rodeo20.jpg


Location #8 was another boat ramp on Alligator Alley, this one is very good but by the time we got there the entire club had raided it!
rodeo21.jpg


Another shot of the canal (location #8):
rodeo22.jpg


Looking at the fish in the judging tank:
rodeo23.jpg


I understand this is a hoplo cat? Whatever it is, it won for size in the catfish category...that's the same guy who caught the oscar:
rodeo24.jpg


the club then treated us to a nice bbq! that's Lloyd, club president and co-founder
rodeo25.jpg


picture of the winning (overall points) team - mine!
rodeo26b.jpg


hope you enjoyed the pictures and the information. ask if you have any questions! :good:
 
That's the apple snail I caught that's in the picture. It won for biggest apple snail of course. Beginners luck for me.
 
Nice! Have you guys ever seen anything in the canal on Okeechobee road? I saw something that looked like danios or killifish the other day. Probably gambusias.... But also something like a gourami..... What street is on pic 3?
 
this is only my second time dipnetting, and the group tends to go to places in broward, so still haven't checked out okeechobee road.
i dont know my streets well, but pic# 3 is in the same street that Flamingo Gardens is on, a couple blocks further...
 
Look's like you guy's had a great time, yes next time you can work out things by getting vats and such pumps etc to help...love the oscar and hoplo catfish,stunning specimen's...Iam suprised if you can catch all that why fish shops exsist in florida :lol:
 
i had meant to post these pics back with the rest but hadn't edited them.
these are the ones i took home to the cichlid tank.

i believe these three to be N. salvini:
salvini_lg.jpg


salvini_sm.jpg


salvini_med.jpg



and these i think are C. urophthalmus (mayan cichlids)? :
mayan_lg.jpg


mayan_sm.jpg



mayan_salvini.jpg



can you guys confirm the IDs? thanks. :good:
 
i recently became a member of the club after attending about 4 meetings prior. the club is Gold Coast Aquarium Society of South Florida (i believe is the official name).


anyone have any idea on the cichlid ids?
 
Hi trojannemo :)

Thanks for the information about your club. They are on the list in our new Club section and I'll be sure to mention them to anyone from your area that is looking for a club to join. Please feel free to post in there and give a link to this thread. We at TFF are hoping to promote interest in them by showing others what fun it is to become a member. This thread is an excellent example. You (or any of the members) are also welcome to post information about upcoming meetings, shows and activities. If your group is planning an auction or show that is open to the public, please PM me with details and I'll be sure to add it to our calendar at the bottom of the index page. :D
 
Hey guys, I know its a little late, but I have finally took photos of my dipnetted fish that have survived all that has happened. They will be posted very soon.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top