Diffuser Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SchottayB

Mr. Terrorcore!
Reaction score
Hi guys... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

This it just getting stupid now!! And for the life of me I can't fix it.

I have a FE Co2 Setup that runs like this:

FE > Regulator > Solonoid > Tube > No Return > Tube > Bubble Counter > Tube > No Return > Tube > In-Line Diffuser > Tank.

First off I had a normal diffuser not an inline diffuser, worked like a dream... then after a few months the pipe kept blowing off at the weakest point so something was blocked? I cleaned the diffuser and everything, started working again. Then it went back to popping off because of a blockage I presume?

So I gave up and brought an In-Line Diffuser. So much better! Worked fine... NOW THE SAME PROBLEM AGIN !!!!!!!!!!

Came home from work to find the pipe had blew off the no return (yes they are the correct way round) and everything was frozen in the cabinet!

I've took it all apart, cleaned it etc and the Co2 goes thro fine untill I attatch it back on the diffuser. It's not going thro the diffuser so this is whats causing it to blow off at the weakest point.

Can someone for the love of god please help me out here or give me a clue whats causing them to work fine for a while, then just keep blocking?!

Much appriciated for any help!

Thanks

How long is it taking for the diffusers to block? I soak mine in bleach once per month to keep them nice and clean. Even tho this is a pain with my inline :crazy:

That said yours should not be blocking completely! what pressure are you running the Co2 at? and are you using the UP inline diffuser?

Yes it's the up inline diffuser. I run it at 1.7, changed to 2 and still no good.

I've had this one maybe 3 weeks? I've took everything off the lines so its a straight run from regulator to diffuser but still no good. Pressure just builds up and goes no where.

So annoying! I've already had it off the filter today to see if I can see anything thats wrong, ended up giving up with it and just putting it back on but not hooking it up to the co2!

You think I should soak it?

Yes, soak it, but don't forget to dechlorinate afterwards.

What non return valves are you using? I had a bad one once and it would not allow Co2 to pass through it one minute and the next it would open suddenly and release all the Co2 that had built up in one big woooosh.

I cant see how the diffuser would become so clogged to stop the Co2 completely, so check the non return valves :good:

I don't use a non return valve with mine and its never back syphoned.

I've took the no returns off so it's going regulator > bubble counter > diffuser and nothing comes through.

It's silly how it can work fine then suddenly stop :huh:

Guess I will take it off again tomorrow and try soak it. How should I soak it?

Thanks for replys

I cant see how the whole piece of ceramic that is inside the diffuser has become blocked. It must be the nipple that attaches the Co2 tube to the diffuser.

Soak it in plain bleach over night (do not use scented bleach) then rinse it very well, then soak it in a very strong mix of dechlorinator and water for a few hours to make sure all the bleach has been removed.

Mate if its an UP inline then you need to take it off, put in bowl of bleach solution 1:10 ratio for 10 mins, after that a good rinse. Then, get a syringe and use some of the bleach solution and inject it into the chamber where the CO2 goes, I had a plastic medicine syringe which was too big but after plenty of trying I got it filled, left it for 10 mins and then you have to kind of use G-force to get it back out. Quick soak in dechlor and your done. After, when you switch it on you'll prob have a huge cloud of CO2 in your tank and have to turn it right down.

It will be interesting to know if it is the ceramic that is completely blocked after 3 weeks use, running at 2bar I would have thought at least some Co2 would be getting through.

My diffusers still run perfectly fine after a months use, and the only reason I clean them that often is to keep the mist as fine as possible.

:S

Me too, some are a bit temperamental tho, mine was so difficult to get running till I soaked it, now after a soak I have to turn it down as it will run from 1bps to 3bps after and have to turn the reg down.

Thanks for the replys, I will give that a go tomorrow!

When I first had it I had to have it like you said 1-3bps as it looked like a storm in the tank it was crazy! Each week it got slower and slower now to nothing.

I got a pin and poked it into the hole that the air line goes onto and still no joy so it has to be the ceramic thats some how blocked. I've googled it and lots of people also had the same problem that after a few weeks/months it becomes blocked.

If I turn it on and run 5+bps after a minuet it goes to 0-1bps and thats opening the valve fully so it has to be shockingly blocked.

I'll give the bleach a go tomorrow, god it's annoying to mess with the inline diffuers... but they are so much better! Thats...when they are working... :lol:.

Cheers! :good:

And this is why I use inline reactors, rather than diffusers. Although the diffusers are good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back