Cycling with one fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jared Learn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all I was cycling with three fish one dwarf gourami and two Molly's, I was made aware on this site that my water wasn't hard enough for the Mollies so I rehomed them. I am currently waiting for the tank to cycle, it's a 20 gallon long pH 7.8 GH 9. By the way I'm about 5 weeks into cycling, so I'm wondering if the tank will cycle with just one fish? Thanks in advance.

The tank will cycle with one fish, it will just take longer, than if you have say, 4 fish. :)

The tank will grow enough bacteria to deal with ammonia made by just that one fish. If you add more fish, the tank will have to grow more bacteria and if you were to add a lot of fish at once it could well go through a mini-cycle.

Are there live plants in the tank?

The tank will cycle with one fish and if it's been going for 5 weeks it should be pretty much done by now. Have you been monitoring the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Yes I understand how the cycle works. I have an API Master test kit and still as of now I'm showing no nitrites or nitrates and my ammonia is usually between .25 and .50. and I've been dosing prime every 48 hours. No live plants as of yet but I've been doing some research and I'm planning on maybe some java fern or anubias haven't quite decided yet. But something easier and low tech

I know that more fish would cycle it faster probably but is it irresponsible to add fish at this point?

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

ph: 7.4-7.6, for most tropical tanks. Do you have a test kit? :)

Mmm. It doesn't sound cycled. Does Prime lock ammonia? If so there could be nothing for the bacteria to 'eat' hence they won't establish.

Mmm. It doesn't sound cycled. Does Prime lock ammonia? If so there could be nothing for the bacteria to 'eat' hence they won't establish.
It only locks for up to 32 hours but it’s still there. Why are you using the Prime every 2 days though? You’re just wasting it. No need for it unless ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates get too high and you have to do a water change. I agree that you should be close to cycling at this point. You may want to get a bottle of Tetras Safe Start + and put it in your filter and tank. Use the entire bottle. Then don’t use Prime for 24 hours or it will eat the bottled bacteria. Use another water conditioner for those first 24 hours then you can use Prime again at water changes. Don’t do any water change until ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates get too high. This should finish the tank off. With the fish and food you’re feeding you should be fine. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sorry been a busy day. I've been dosing the prime honestly just too keep my fish from suffering. I started with Tetra safestart and didn't do anything. But I could have messed that up it's worth another try and I do agree that should be cycled or close to it at this point I would think.

That's why I was waiting 48 hours with the prime cuz it was unlocking the ammonia at some point I figured that's just a theory though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back