Cycling a Discus tank

PaintballFan07

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, i am finally ready to set up a discus tank and I have the tank it is a 72g bf tank. I am waiting for the supplies to come, should arrive on wednesday, i will set it up then. I plan on using a betta to cycle the tank. Is this ok? How long will it take? How would i do a fishless cycle? thanx for ur help

The fishless cycle might take awhile with just 1 betta. What kind of filtration are you thinking of using? If I were you I would get all the filtration in there and get some gravel or sponges from another tank and add ammonia slowly for a few weeks.

FloridaFishGuy said:
The fishless cycle might take awhile with just 1 betta. What kind of filtration are you thinking of using? If I were you I would get all the filtration in there and get some gravel or sponges from another tank and add ammonia slowly for a few weeks.
I bought a aqua clear 300 and a hydro sponge v. My other tank uses a 350 magnum pro system so caint really unhook all that stuff n put it on this tank.

FFG about the stand thing i talked my parents into buying me the stand for the tank so that wont be a problem any more. i do have bala sharks in the 55g tank that may help with the cycle but i think i may go fishless. I will put disucs in the tank by thanksgiving so there is plent of time for the tank to cycle. If bala sharks are hardy fish and i decide to cycle the tank with fish, i have 3 3-4 inch balas in the 55g and 2 5" sharks in there also.

Oh n ffg i read on another forum (simplyD) that u should not feed discus freeze dried tubifx worms. Is this true and also do u use carbon in ur filter system? thanks for the help.

I dont really know about the tubifx worms but people try to stay away from freeze dried foods. Good things to feed are Bloodworms, Beefheart, and Tetra Color Bits. And no I dont use carbon because it can leech back into the tank and harm the fish.

FloridaFishGuy said:
I dont really know about the tubifx worms but people try to stay away from freeze dried foods. Good things to feed are Bloodworms, Beefheart, and Tetra Color Bits. And no I dont use carbon because it can leech back into the tank and harm the fish.
Tetra color bits, boy im lucky i just ordered a 10.5 oz bottle of that cuz it was only 9.99 compared to 14.99. So wat type of filteration do u use. Since i have a aquaclear 300 should i just not put in the carbon?

Basicly what I use is an AC 500 with extra sponges and a prefilter that i rinse daily. I also have sponge filters for extra biological.

678685.jpg

Where did u get the sponge that goes over ur intake pipe on the AC 500. I am getting a AC300 and a 125g rated sponge filter so i dont think filteration would be a problem.Very nice tank and fish by the way.

Wats the clear pipe on the far right side of the tank for, and this may sound stupid but is ur tank not filled to the top of purpose? thanx

The sponge on the intake pipe of the AC500 is actully just an AC300 sponge cut in half and with a hole in the middle. The clear pipe to the right is for my water changes. I use a gravity system to do a 50% w/c daily. I think you will need more filtration in a 72g tank. I would do a AC500 and 3 sponge filters.

FloridaFishGuy said:
The sponge on the intake pipe of the AC500 is actully just an AC300 sponge cut in half and with a hole in the middle.  The clear pipe to the right is for my water changes.  I use a gravity system to do a 50% w/c daily.  I think you will need more filtration in a 72g tank.  I would do a AC500 and 3 sponge filters.
Really, u think i need more filteration even though the ac300 is rated for 100g, and the sponge is for 125g? thanx
Wat is a gravity water change system? thanx

Well I guess it depends on how many Discus you have. If you have adults then no that should do alright but you would still need to do a good w/c 2 times a week. If your getting juvie Discus you definatly want to increase filtration so that you dont have to do as many w/c. I mainly do so many w/c because im raising my fish to sell and I need them to grow as fast as possible.

FloridaFishGuy said:
Well I guess it depends on how many Discus you have. If you have adults then no that should do alright but you would still need to do a good w/c 2 times a week. If your getting juvie Discus you definatly want to increase filtration so that you dont have to do as many w/c. I mainly do so many w/c because im raising my fish to sell and I need them to grow as fast as possible.
I c. Do u still have the same discus from the past that u got from ur friend? Good luck with them. I do have another filter that i used to use for my 55g it is rated for 60g i think, it is made by whisper. But it uses filter cartridges that slide into the filter with the carbon in the middle of the cartridge. Should i take he cartridge cut a slit into it n pull out the carbon u use it to help with filteration. I will have juvy discus, around 5 or more depending on the amount of money i have at the time. thanx for ur help

If you can take the carbon out then great but if you can than dont use that filter. I do not have the same Discus as in my Avatar but I do have small 1"ers.

Most reactions

Back