Cycled But Smelly Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paulbr1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 260L tank which has recently finished it's Fishless Cycle (2 weeks ago) I have fish, decor and plants, the stats are spot on ie. Ammonia & Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20-30ppm and a Ph of 7.6.

The tank is clean and clear and had a 15% Water change at the weekend.

My problem is that the bloomin thing stinks - and just like sweaty training shoes, any ideas as it is winding up the wife (who described it differently ie. cat pee.) - I have put in an airstone thinking that it may make a difference, but no change as yet.

Any Ideas anybody??

Paul.

I'm currently mid fish-in cycle atm so have fish and plants in the tank already and I must admit there is a general... "green" smell about the tank.

This obviously doesn't help you much but I'm interested to see what some of the other replies say! :good:

My tank smells too. Sorry I always thought that fishy smell was normal. I put some antibotic in the water that was plant base and It sorta changed the smell. I wouldn't discribe the smell as cat pee but more like...fish water :blush:

I use API master kit - which I know is spot on.

It is not an Ammonia smell - more like smelly feet and no I havn't been washing my feet in there, I was wondering if it was anything to do with the old "new tank syndrome"

Paul.

Cheers never thopught of that one, I do have a spare pad so will chuck that in later.

Worth a try.

Paul.

have you thought of trying an ozoniser they purify the water eliminate odours and and bleach the water by using a sort of oxygen no chemicals at all

[URL="http://www.google.co.uk/products?sourceid=...=4&ct=title"]http://www.google.co.uk/products?sourceid=...=4&ct=title[/URL]

[URL="http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/ozonizers.html"]http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/ozonizers.html[/URL] http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog...-home-aquarium/ these two tells you how they work

im looking into them too for my 825L freshwater tank.

mine smells a bit but its a fishwater/green smell and its only mild

Agree that you can use carbon for smells you don't want but can't figure out.

A cycling tank should normally have a smell that is usually described by people as "earthy", very nearly like working in a garden with fresh soil. This is not by happenstance, the bacteria in both cases are similar and the processes they are carrying out are similar and have smells.

~~waterdrop~~

mine still smells abit like that and its been fully running for a couple of months after all cycling.

so what does that mean ?

i run a sump with my tank so could it just be the smell from that ? as its got no lid on it

What kind of decor do you have in the tank?

We had this same problem w/ one of our tanks. It had this AWFUL stank "fart" smell to it and it turned out that the decor we had in the tank was causing it some how.

This thing
314-8.jpg

It was made for aquarium use, but *shrugs* Not sure why it made the water smell funky. Maybe the big opening in the bottom was trapping too much air and turning it rancid or something....
Did multiple water changes while it was still in the tank, but the smell still returned, so eventually took it out and the smell disappeared.

nothing like that just sand substrate some plants and a couple of large peices of slate proped to make caves for the bottom dwellers

have a look at my link in my sig you will see what i have in there and all the girlfriends gold fish are out of there now lol

We had this same problem w/ one of our tanks. It had this AWFUL stank "fart" smell to it and it turned out that the decor we had in the tank was causing it some how.

This thing
314-8.jpg

It was made for aquarium use, but *shrugs* Not sure why it made the water smell funky. Maybe the big opening in the bottom was trapping too much air and turning it rancid or something....
Did multiple water changes while it was still in the tank, but the smell still returned, so eventually took it out and the smell disappeared.

Fish were probably cra££ing themselves :lol:

This thing
314-8.jpg

haha just that was funny!! :lol:

This thing
314-8.jpg

haha just that was funny!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back