Curiosity Decided To Hatch Some Frog Spawn

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
We used to have a pond in our garden, last year we filled it in. The frogs don't seem to have noticed and still decided to deposit lots of frog spawn on the mound of soil.

I saw it and will be taking the majority of it down the the nearby d.a.m. when I have a chance. But I'm going to keep a lump for myself and hatch them out. Then raise the tadpoles into little froglets and release them in the same place later in the month.

Day 1 - 5pm
frog040410.jpg

Day 2 - 5pm
frog050410.jpg

Day 3 - 7am
frog060410am.jpg

Day 3 - 7pm

Day 4 - 5pm in the big tadpole house.
frog2070410.jpg

frog070410.jpg

Day 5 - 6pm
frog2080410.jpg

frog080410.jpg

Day 9
frog120410.jpg
frog2120410.jpg

I will try to update every day with new pics. They're being kept at room temp so around 18-22C which makes me think they will probably develop pretty quickly.

great little project curiosity, well done and i hope the little frogs thrive for you :good:

Keeps my hands busy lol. Plus although it's frowned upon to move frogs/frogspawn around the d.a.m. is around 15minutes walk from my house....if they're telling me that these frogs probably wouldn't ever go there then they're crazy. lol.

Day 2 - Alot of the eggs seem to have reached the kidney bean stage (no that isn't a technical term but it works). I'm thinking they'll start hatching in a couple more days going by the speed of development over just the past 24 hours. I put the filter in today aswell with a small bit of media from my main tank. Hopefully it'll cycle enough over the next day or two.

sweet, ive never watched this before....we have loads of frogs in our back yard! shame they dont spawn i would luv to try this!

i'll be watching. Nice little project.

I watched cheaper by the dozen a few weeks back with my OH and he fell in love with the frog on it. (He actually wants one as a pet but frankly we don't have the time or space for a bull frog any time in the near future and he only wanted it if I looked after it :rolleyes: ). This makes a nice compromise and even he is excited! lol.

Day 3 am - Had to update! So shocked at the change in just over 12 hours. From kidney beans to little tadpoles! Heads are starting to form.

I'm putting all pics in the first post. The day 3 am is up there. I will have another one when I get home from work...and at the rate they developed overnight I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they're trying to wriggle of eggs right about now lol.
As soon as they start moving I'll start with short video clips aswell.

Update as promised. They've started wiggling and some have prematurely wiggled out of their eggs.

Sorry if the video is a bit big loading wise... I've never had to resize a video before so it was a hard choice to decide between size and quality. I picked quality lol.

10 or so are now free from eggs. They seem to be doing something similar to newly hatched chicks, they force their way out the basically stop moving. I don't know if they're emerging too early or if this is normal...but I'm going with the theory it's normal and they're just tired.

No picture today as I've been super busy. Basically around 50% have hatched and they spent the day elongating their tail. As I left the house at around 9pm tonight the first couple started trying to make journeys to the top of the tank. :)

So did I. But never properly, and never documented. For example I have a filter in at the mo and it's currently cycling (not fast enough!) I'm doing twice daily 50% changes to keep the levels down but have both ammonia and nitrites showing (so I guess that's a good sign technically). Also I never realised that they left the eggs before they were fully developed...that was odd.

Didn't know that either. Another thing I heard is that apparently they don't eat whilst their legs are developing because they get the nutrients they need from their tails?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back