Betta Fry Hatched 25Th April 2011

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sausagewinkle

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have previously got a topic on this (My Successful Spawn) but silly me moved all of my photographs in photobucket so all the images were lost.
So I thought id do a full new one.

I previously tried to breed my Male Thai to my female Matilda. Unfortunately this didn't work out and Thai ended up tearing her apart (she recovered great though.)
So Matilda was moved back to her tank to recover and Thai back to his tank.

I set up a new larger tank to re attempt the spawning with my other female Wisp, she was conditioned the same time as Matilda.

This time I added Thai and Matilda to the tank together, the first time I added Thai for 1 day alone then added Matilda in her bottle.

20th April - Thai and Wisp were added to the tank, Thai was free and Wisp in her bottle. Thai built no nest (he did straight away with Matilda)

22nd April - Still no nest from Thai, but decided to set Wisp free anyway with a close eye watching them. There was the usual chasing but no damage done to Wisp. By early evening Thai had built a lovely nest :). I left them over night.

23rd April - Went in to check on them and caught them spawning at 8am. This was amazing to see so I sat and watched them from a distance. Around 9:30am Thai began to chase Wisp away so I removed her back to her tank to relax. Thai became very aggressive so I couldn't get to close to the tank, I just left him in peace with his nest and his eggs.

24th April - With it being there first time (maybe not Thai's as he is a import but defiantly Wisp's) I don't think I was expecting any eggs to hatch, because I couldn't get close to the tank due to a very aggressive Thai I wasn't sure if there eggs were still in the nest or not or if Thai has eaten them.

25th April - Early morning check and there were lots of black dots in the nest, all the eggs had hatched and the fry were hanging from the nest, I was over the moon :D again I had to be careful not to go too near or stay there too long. He done a great job catching the fry and blowing them back into the nest, the little man never stopped.

26th April - Unfortunately me and my partner were off on holiday for a few days so my dad was house, cat and fish sitting. I couldn't leave Thai in the spawning tank much longer otherwise he would have been in too long by the time we got back. ( and I wouldn't trust my dad to do it), so we removed him and put him back into his tank. Most of the fry were free swimming at this point anyway so I don't think it was drastically too early. I lowered the water lever right down, fed them there first meal of micro worm and left them too it.

PICTURES FROM THE SPAWNING

DADDY THAI - BLUE HALFMOON MARBLE BUTTERFLY
ffaed3d6.jpg

MAMMY WISP - OPAQUE HALFMOON
727539ea.jpg

e64e4805.jpg

a5c62b51.jpg

VIDEO

VIDEO - THAI WITH THE NEWLY HATCHED FRY

They are getting daily partial water changes and fed on microworm 3 times a day

9 DAYS OLD
0c309222.jpg

112fde04.jpg

53abfcff.jpg

VIDEO

The tank looks horribly dirty but at this point I still couldn't syphon the bottom, I added a apple snail to do the clean up duties.

3 WEEKS OLD
Growing nicely, 1 is huge compared to the rest. Still getting fed on microworm 3 times a day and still having daily water changes.
lost quite a few, find a odd 1 or 2 deads ones each day, I have heard this is normal so not worrying just yet.
9a3babc4.jpg

c9a989aa.jpg

4 WEEKS OLD
Now getting fed on BBS and microworm to hopefully make them grow more. The giant (named Gandor) is huge compared to the rest so he is now in a cup in the tank because he is chasing the other little ones.
25b7cd15.jpg

21a592b0.jpg

VIDEO - EATING THEIR BBS

5 WEEKS OLD
Gandor now lives in a breeder inside the tank and is still growing a lot quicker than the rest of them. he is also starting to show some colour - blue/green shimmer in his fins.

VIDEO- EATING BBS

VIDEO- OTHERS IN THE TANK

6 WEEKS OLD
done a head count as they were all lying on the bottom with full tummies, Counted well over 70 3 times, I thought there was about 40-50 so i am very happy :) Also no dead ones are being found now which is great (apart from 2 that got into Gandors breeder and he killed)

7 WEEKS OLD
Starting to grow a lot better now, not as big as some peoples spawns. I now have another 'giant' compared to the rest.

f7a79e39.jpg

53a5a648.jpg

026d9005.jpg

7e17400e.jpg

d776a02b.jpg

3ddadc02.jpg

VIDEOS

9 WEEKS
They were all moved to a 80L last week, Gandor has now been released and is (so far) living peacefully with them all. They have grown quite a lot over the passed week and starting to show some bits of colour. Gandor at the minute is blue, pink and purple.
They are now being fed on BBS, Microworm and Grindal Worm also still having their water changes, every other day now.

Ill get some updated pics on soon :)

Looking good Vicki! :good: Really glad that Gandor has a buddy! :D I wouldn't worry about how quickly they are growing,- the main thing is that they ARE growing! :nod:

I can't wait to see how they all turn out colour wise! :D

Looking good Vicki! :good: Really glad that Gandor has a buddy! :D I wouldn't worry about how quickly they are growing,- the main thing is that they ARE growing! :nod:

I can't wait to see how they all turn out colour wise! :D
I always love watching before and after pics...can't wait to see what they look like as they get bigger. Keep sending in the pics :good:

Ohhh man it's been years since I've dealt with fry... this makes me miss the joys of it! :D
Nicely done!

I was showing my mam the photos last night; she said they were cute too :)

You'll have to bring your mam with you then when you come to get some ;)
:lol:

Well who will hold the bags when I drive home? lol. Considering my parents don't "like" my aquatic life they do a good job of "aww it's cute", "aww look at him", "awww, stupid snail", "I just accidentally gave him too much food as he was wiggling at me". etc...

I lost all but 2 of my girls to columnarius (spelling) so I have more than enough room to accommodate your girlies too. I'm off on hols this week until the 15th July (if they happened to be ready before then - I doubt it but I just wanted to let you know just in case). Otherwise I'll look forward to photo updates when I get back :)

Plus I'm in the market for (possibly) a male too, poor Paddy :(

Think it will be a while before they are ready, but don't worry I wont let them go anywhere :)
Think it will be more August time :)
Adding more pictures and videos now from last night :D
p.s enjoy your holidays (jealous)

9 WEEKS OLD TODAY
Snapped some pictures and videos of them last night, they were all waiting for their tea and tank clean and nasty me sat there tanking pictures :D

STARTING TO SHOW THEIR STRIPES
4b27407d.jpg

88a9bfcf.jpg

VIDEO - LOOKING FOR THEIR WORMS (can spot Gandor straight away)

GANDOR
49981a27.jpg

cd5fea0f.jpg

5bd8b501.jpg

GANDORS FRIEND THE GIANT NUMBER 2
28f7cb54.jpg

VIDEOS

Think it will be a while before they are ready, but don't worry I wont let them go anywhere :)

I assumed it would be end of July/beginning of August at the earliest they'd be ready anyway. I just thought I'd let you know in case I "suddenly" disappeared after saying I'd like some :). I'm not adding anything to my tank until end July anyway; it's being treat as a quarantine tank after the outbreak. Thankfully the remaining 2 girls seem to be ok :)

I assumed it would be end of July/beginning of August at the earliest they'd be ready anyway. I just thought I'd let you know in case I "suddenly" disappeared after saying I'd like some :). I'm not adding anything to my tank until end July anyway; it's being treat as a quarantine tank after the outbreak. Thankfully the remaining 2 girls seem to be ok :)

Glad the other 2 girls are doing good :)

Pics & Vids added :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back