couple filtering questions

MXPX4318

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok so I just got another 10 gallon from a buddy of mine and it came with an aquaclear mini, so instead of setting up the tank and running the filter and adding ammonia to the tank, etc. I'm just going to put the aquaclear mini on the back of my 20 gallon along with my penquin 170, so my first question is how long should I leave it on the back of the 20 gallon to get a good bacteria culture developed in the filter?

My second question is related to aquaclears, I've never had one and the filter set up is a bit different then my penquin (well a lot different) so he (my friend) just gave me a sponge filter insert to put into the filter, and I noticed there are 2 other spots to put inserts (total of three) so my first question about this is, with just the sponge which level should I put it in (bottom (towards the floor), middle, or top (towards the ceiling)), and the second part of this question is what are two other inserts worth investing in to put into this filter, I'm thinking of getting a carbon filter to get chemicals out and cleared up for the first week I set it up on the 10 gallon but carbon only last a week or two so after I remove it what should I put in there?

Thanks guys,
Phillip

I have an aquaclears 20 and allaquaclears have a 3 stage system.

Stage 1 (at bottom of filter) is the sponge where all your good bacteria will grow
stage 2 (in the middle) is a carbon bag
stage 3 (at the top) is a bag of biological chips

My aquaclears came with all 3 of them and I've been running it in my 10gal taank for over 5 months now with no problems. I have NOT changed the carbon or biological bags and DO NOT plan on getting new ones. They helped during the cycling of the tank and I'm sure by now they are doing NOTHING but using up space in the filter. I noticed that when I tok them out the filter pump had a harder time pushing the water out becuase the sponge alone is too small. So I just left them in there.

Bio-Max is always an excellent third layer. One ring of it is equal to about , something like, 20 square feet of space (If I remeber correctly) and so you get a nice huge metropolis of good bacteria. Another plus is it lasts the rings stay good for about a year. Bio-max is wicked!!!

I just fill my aquaclears with more sponge pads - cheap and effective, these sponges are remarkable biological filters as well as mechanical. They can also be rinsed many times over before needing replacement.

I use 2 sponges and filter floss in my Aquaclear. I put the floss in the middle of the sponges. I previously used the ammonia remover bags and carbon, but I don't really think there necessary. Carbon doesn't last very long, from what I've read. It's good for removing meds. I'd like to try this Bio-Max stuff I keep hearing about.

In my aquaclear I have a layer of sponge, lava rock for more bacteria, fiber, and then the biomax that came with it.

thanks leslie that question has been avoided (until now) in 2 threads I've posted (one in brackish one in here) until you answered and it was my MOST important question so thank you.

rae said:
Bio-Max is always an excellent third layer. One ring of it is equal to about , something like, 20 square feet of space (If I remeber correctly) and so you get a nice huge metropolis of good bacteria. Another plus is it lasts the rings stay good for about a year. Bio-max is wicked!!!
That is interesting. I have tonnes of AquaClear filters but I have yet to try one of those rings. Perhaps I should give it a shot.. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back