Could I Have Been More Stupid? Help Meee!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reptileman

Reaction score
So I was curious to see all the fish profiles of my fish on SeriouslyFish, and I realized I have really screwed up! I jumped into the tank with one idea and switched halfway through and didn't do my research -_-. Also Some other stuff to do with my tank.

Tank stats that matter to fish. 
-240L with Fluval 405 canister (1300lph), and Hydor Koralia circulation pump (1608lph).
-lightly planted (ATM)
-constant 27c

And here's the issue, These are the fish, and their temps best kept in aquarium, everything else is fairly similair.
  • Orange Fin Danio 20-26
  • Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish 23-28
  • Boesemani Rainbowfish 27-30
  • Red Rainbowfish 22-25
  • New Guinea Rainbowfish 20-30
  • Flying Fox 22-26
  • Congo Tetra 23-28
  • Petricola Synodontis 24-28.
The fish have all been in the aquarium now for 4 weeks, but i don't want to heat stress or cold stress them (varying temps between fish).

I started cycling on march 18th with cycled media, and plants. 4 days after I started the cycle(march 22nd), check levels at work 0ppm nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, I added 6 congo tetras. On April 5th I added 1 leopard bushfish (removed 2-ish weeks ago) and 6 petricola synodontis. I then struggled with diatoms which I got rid of decreasing lighting from 14 hours a day (yikes) to 8 hours with a 4 hour siesta in between. April 10th  did first 25% waterchange. On April 19th   I added 10 Orange Fin Danio, 10 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 3 Flying Fox, 1 New Guinea Rainbowfish (who until today I thought was a Turquoise Rainbowfish). I also added 10 Seachem Root Tabs, changed the carbon in my filter to Zeo-Carb, Purigen, and water polishing pads, found 1 dead Synodontis in filter, ditched surface skimmer. On April 21st I added 1 Boesemani, 1 Parkinsoni, and 1 Red Rainbowfish. April 25th Parkinsoni Dies. April 26th 25% waterchange. April 28th water looked cloudy 10% WC. May 3rd tank water a putrid green, Mom later tells me its been like that since Monday(April 29th) 25% WC, rinse filter mats, reduce lights to 5 hours a day, got water tested at work, to green to read properly. May 5th 25% WC, added Microbe-lift Special Blend,added  left lights off until wednesday(May 8th). May 8th 25% WC, changed polishing pads to thin cut to fit 100 micron filter fibre. May 12th, 25% WC start Purigen recharge, rinse all sponges/fibres/foams in tank water. May 14th 50% waterchange, filter rinse, purigen still smells/ feels funny, rinse, and back in dechlor water, Black bag front and sides, cover with large dark duvet, unplug lights from timer, prepare for 3-5 day black out, hope for the best for plants and fish.

Lighting- 2 40w T8 Life-glo. 6700K, 3255 Lumen, and 310 Lux.
Ferts: Flourish (weekly 5ml), Flourish Iron (weekly 4ml), Flourish Excel (daily 6ml), 10 root tabs added on April 19th, one found, and removed, for betta tank on may 13th. Stopped dosing liquid ferts on April 20th.
Feeding:  I feed my fish once or twice a day except for Fridays. They get frozen bloodworms every other day, they are pre-thawed (15 mins before) so i can split it easily between my betta, and his shrimpy friends, my newt, and this tank. They get fed 2 "pinches" of Omega One Super Veggie, and Nutrafin Max with NLS community pellet mixed in. I also drop in one Hikari Algae wafer couple of days.

I use pinches lightly as i'm prone to over feeding because I love their feeding response.

Current Inhabitants:
10 Orange Fin Danios, 10 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 6 Congo Tetra, 5 Petricola Synodontis, 3 Flying Fox, 1 Red Rainbowfish, 1 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 New Guinea Rainbowfish, 3 Horned Nerite Snails, and X pond snails.

For those that have read my algae post don't listen to it, I hadn't taken my ADD meds, and if I don't take them I only tell myself what i want to here :/ sorry for confusion.

I'm not sure what, exactly, it is you want to know?

If you are worried about temperatures, just set it at 25º and you are good to go, it looks like.  If there was another problem ...

the other problem would be the free floating algae, I know the black-out method is not the best one, but i am dealing with the roots of the problem, which I believe are the overfeeding, infrequent water changes, and of course there's the adding too many fish at once but that can't really be resolved..... if you guys notice any others PLEASE let me know!

And as far as water tests go, the green water interferes with the tests, is there a way I can get clear water from my tank to do a water test, or -should I pick up, test strips, although they are dreadfully in-accurate.

Try test strips...at least until the algae is gone.  If the results seem wildly inaccurate, then they probably are way off the mark.  Afraid I can't help you too much with the algae problem, as I've never had to deal with that kind of algae.  Best of luck!

Neither have I.  But check the resources in the PARC (planted yadda yadda yadda): there should be information about how to deal with green water.  Of course, daphnia would love it! and then your fish can eat them too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back