Corydoras wont stop dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I fully concur with AdoraBelle's advice of a major water change as soon as possible. Use only a conditioner, no other substances, and do a good vacuum into the gravel while sucking out the water. [You posted while I was typing, yes, do the 70%.]

Going forward, you mentioned doing tests and levels are perfect...always post the test and the result, as we don't know what someone may consider "perfect." Parameters are GH, KH, pH and temperature. Conditions (not technically parameters) are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, [and some other test that generally don't get involved].

It can, yes :( But a large water change will hopefully prevent any more losses, and buy us some more time to figure things out! Well done for getting right on it :)

That's okay, just use your usual ammonia and nitrite conditioner :)

Which brand and type of test kit have you been using for your water parameters?
OK I'm filling it up right now. I. I've been using API for for testing the water. :)

OK I'm filling it up right now. I. I've been using API for for testing the water. :)
The liquid test kit? Or the dip strips?

Asking because the dip strips (with any brand) are not always terribly accurate unfortunately. Can give people a false sense of security if the strip fails to detect ammonia or nitrites.
Liquid test kits are much more accurate, but the tests also need to be done in a precise way, and it's easy for someone new to it to not shake the bottles enough.

I suspect your tank has been experiencing ammonia spikes, and that's what's killing your fish. I could be wrong, but either way, the water change can only help and won't hurt.

But if it is ammonia, we need to puzzle out why it hasn't shown up on tests (and it's also possible that you've experienced spikes in ammonia, but that the bacteria had processed the ammonia by the time you tested) and what's causing the spikes.

It's the most common cause of a tank crash, and cories are more sensitive to ammonia spikes than many of the other species you mentioned having, followed by loaches.

I fully concur with AdoraBelle's advice of a major water change as soon as possible. Use only a conditioner, no other substances, and do a good vacuum into the gravel while sucking out the water. [You posted while I was typing, yes, do the 70%.]

Going forward, you mentioned doing tests and levels are perfect...always post the test and the result, as we don't know what someone may consider "perfect." Parameters are GH, KH, pH and temperature. Conditions (not technically parameters) are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, [and some other test that generally don't get involved].
Gh is 7
Kh is 8
Ph is 7.6

The liquid test kit? Or the dip strips?

Asking because the dip strips (with any brand) are not always terribly accurate unfortunately. Can give people a false sense of security if the strip fails to detect ammonia or nitrites.
Liquid test kits are much more accurate, but the tests also need to be done in a precise way, and it's easy for someone new to it to not shake the bottles enough.

I suspect your tank has been experiencing ammonia spikes, and that's what's killing your fish. I could be wrong, but either way, the water change can only help and won't hurt.

But if it is ammonia, we need to puzzle out why it hasn't shown up on tests (and it's also possible that you've experienced spikes in ammonia, but that the bacteria had processed the ammonia by the time you tested) and what's causing the spikes.

It's the most common cause of a tank crash, and cories are more sensitive to ammonia spikes than many of the other species you mentioned having, followed by loaches.
It's the liquid tests. I shake the bottles as well. I thought it was ammonia so that's why I kept testing but it was showing as 0.

I just finished filling the tank as well :) !

Attachments

• 20210905_155910.jpg
    20210905_155910.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 36

I did the 70% and I did a very heavy Gravel vacuum.

I did the 70% and I did a very heavy Gravel vacuum. N
I did the 70% and I did a very heavy Gravel vacuum.
Thr corys grabbed to much air when I was filling it up, that they all keep floating 🤦🏽‍♀️ I'll give it a few hours and they'll be fine, this happens sometimes when I do a big water change.

It's the liquid tests. I shake the bottles as well. I thought it was ammonia so that's why I kept testing but it was showing as 0.

I just finished filling the tank as well :) !

Good going on the fast water change! :good:
How are the rest of the fish looking?

Yet more questions I'm afraid! Can't see and test these things myself, so have to badger you for info to try to solve the problem, sorry!

Filtration: What filter(s) are on the tank, how often do you clean them, and how do you clean them? Or do you use a filter that asks you to replace cartridges every month?

When did you get the new fish and how many did you add at one time?

Can you list the total stocking now please? Sorry, I'm a bit lost! There are some stocking number and compatability issues, but those are more long term problems we can deal with later. The cause of the fish deaths is more urgent.

Any chemicals used in the tank? Any chance the tank could have accidentally been contaminated with something like a cleaning spray, air freshener, or even hand sanitiser? A friend of mine lost most of the fish in her 55g because her small child put his fingers in the tank before washing his hands after a shopping trip. It can happen, sadly

Thr corys grabbed to much air when I was filling it up, that they all keep floating 🤦🏽‍♀️ I'll give it a few hours and they'll be fine, this happens sometimes when I do a big water change.
That definitely isn't normal... the fish are struggling badly if they're doing that.

What temperature is the tank at, and is their an air bubbler in there?

Well sorry to say this but your bottom-level is overcrowded :
1 kuhli loach, gregarious fish that need to live in group of 5 or more to thrive well.
2 rainbow sharks territorial, turn aggressive when aging.
11 corys
2 red bristlenose plecos, territorial, turn aggressive when spawning.

Tank dramatically lacks plants and hiding places.

Do you stand water 72 hours before use ? (to let chlorine and chloramine evaporate).

I have to go offline for a couple of hours I'm afraid, but if you could answer the questions I pelted you with earlier, I'm sure others will be along to help out! And I'll check here first when I'm back online.

I'm sorry for the losses you've had, but we'll do our best to help you figure out the problem and save the rest of the fish.

Good going on the fast water change! :good:
How are the rest of the fish looking?

Yet more questions I'm afraid! Can't see and test these things myself, so have to badger you for info to try to solve the problem, sorry!

Filtration: What filter(s) are on the tank, how often do you clean them, and how do you clean them? Or do you use a filter that asks you to replace cartridges every month?

When did you get the new fish and how many did you add at one time?

Can you list the total stocking now please? Sorry, I'm a bit lost! There are some stocking number and compatability issues, but those are more long term problems we can deal with later. The cause of the fish deaths is more urgent.

Any chemicals used in the tank? Any chance the tank could have accidentally been contaminated with something like a cleaning spray, air freshener, or even hand sanitiser? A friend of mine lost most of the fish in her 55g because her small child put his fingers in the tank before washing his hands after a shopping trip. It can happen, sadly
They're very active right now. They always love when I change the water :). Some are a bit in shock so a bit sluggish but they always bounce back.

I have a cartridge filter that I replace once a month, I use just hot water and a never used Toothbrush to clean it. I can't remember the specific brand.

There are now 3 bronze corys, 4 peppered corys, 2 rainbow sharks, 3 cherry barbs, 2 red bristlenose plecos and baby snails (too many to count).

I got the new fish a week ago about and added 2 at a time. I acclimated them to temp and water drip as well. There were 5 peppered corys and 4 cherry barbs when I got them though!

I actually don't use chemicals except for my bathroom. As well as laundry. The sink is nearby but no soap or anything got in there. I don't really ever dip my hands either and if I have to I wash and thoroughly rinse. Yeah when I was a kid I used to kill all of my fish by dipping my hands in that's why I don't anymore lol.

Well sorry to say this but your bottom-level is overcrowded :
1 kuhli loach, gregarious fish that need to live in group of 5 or more to thrive well.
2 rainbow sharks territorial, turn aggressive when aging.
11 corys
2 red bristlenose plecos, territorial, turn aggressive when spawning.

Tank dramatically lacks plants and hiding places.

Do you stand water 72 hours before use ? (to let chlorine and chloramine evaporate).
Just updated the numbers 7 corys, 2 sharks one female one male, 2 plecos both females, and 3 cherry barbs. I've never had issues with the sharks. The female shark is territorial with the male shark and that's it. Plecos use both huts and so do the rainbow sharks. The kuhli loach always made a house under the huts never wanted to go in. The corys never go in the huts.

That definitely isn't normal... the fish are struggling badly if they're doing that.

What temperature is the tank at, and is their an air bubbler in there?
It's at 73 and they only do it when there's a water change idk why. I don't have an air bubbler.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back