Corydoras wont stop dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Congrats on the clean water, and happy fish...nice job....don't fret over the ph for now....get a sample from your tap, let it sit out for 24H, then test the ph...and test the tank ph again then, too

DON'T try to change the ph, leave it be
So I collect tap water and elt it sit out for 24 hours, then I test the pH of the tap water?

Do I also let the tank sample sit for 24 hours or no?

So I collect tap water and elt it sit out for 24 hours, then I test the pH of the tap water?

No, there is no reason to wait with tank water because the CO2 will not be an issue. There are other factors affecting parameters in an aquarium.

Tap water can assimilate CO2 as it travels through the pipes, and CO2 causes carbonic acid which thus lowers the pH. By "out-gassing" the CO2 the pH may increase depending upon the level of CO2. This CO2 in the tap water can vary from time to time so any pH test of tap water always needs to consider the CO2 issue.

Tap water in a bowl, let sit on the counter for 24H, then test it's ph

Tank water, test 24H after the last water change straight from the tank, but BEFORE the next WC, if one is needed

Tap water in a bowl, let sit on the counter for 24H, then test it's ph

Tank water, test 24H after the last water change straight from the tank, but BEFORE the next WC, if one is needed
Tap water came back 8.4

Tank water before water change today came back 8.2

Tap water came back 8.4

Tank water before water change today came back 8.2

Then this is your pH confirmed (I'm assuming the tap water was after sitting 24 hours). It will be in the 8.0 to 8.4 range at water changes. The GH is 8 dH (earlier in thread). So the pH may or may not shift downwards over time. And the water folks may be adding something to keep it higher...did you check their website?

Then this is your pH confirmed (I'm assuming the tap water was after sitting 24 hours). It will be in the 8.0 to 8.4 range at water changes. The GH is 8 dH (earlier in thread). So the pH may or may not shift downwards over time. And the water folks may be adding something to keep it higher...did you check their website?
This is the quality report for just a few days ago says the date.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-153137_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-153137_Drive.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 49
Okay thats good then, so what should I do about the high ph?

Probably nothing. Once the aquarium is running with fish for a time, the biological system will establish itself. We know the GH is 8 dH which is moderately soft/moderately hard, but we don't know the buffering capacity of the water (the KH or Alkalinity). I myself would expect this pH to lower over time.

My tap water has zero GH/KH and the pH is 7 (they add soda ash to raise pH to prevent pipe corrosion). In my aquaria, the pH is well below 7, depending upon the individual tank; in some it remains around 6.5, in others it is in the 5's, in others it is below 5 (can't measure that low). You have more buffering capacity than I do, presumably, so it will have to sort itself out.

The only way to lower pH now, initially, is to dilute the existing GH/KH with pure water. That is not as easy as it sounds, so I would suggest leaving well enough alone and seeing what transpires. Fluctuating pH is much more detrimental for fish than a stable pH even if outside their preference.

Probably nothing. Once the aquarium is running with fish for a time, the biological system will establish itself. We know the GH is 8 dH which is moderately soft/moderately hard, but we don't know the buffering capacity of the water (the KH or Alkalinity). I myself would expect this pH to lower over time.

My tap water has zero GH/KH and the pH is 7 (they add soda ash to raise pH to prevent pipe corrosion). In my aquaria, the pH is well below 7, depending upon the individual tank; in some it remains around 6.5, in others it is in the 5's, in others it is below 5 (can't measure that low). You have more buffering capacity than I do, presumably, so it will have to sort itself out.

The only way to lower pH now, initially, is to dilute the existing GH/KH with pure water. That is not as easy as it sounds, so I would suggest leaving well enough alone and seeing what transpires. Fluctuating pH is much more detrimental for fish than a stable pH even if outside their preference.
Okay then I will leave it alone! The tank came back 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate today as well

Okay then I will leave it alone! The tank came back 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate today as well

Test the pH of the tank water periodically over the week between water changes and see if it moves at all, or by how much. Keep a written record as sometimes it is useful to do this over weeks and months. Always test pH at the same tie of day when you test it on different days. There is a natural diurnal fluctuation so if you test in the early morning it might be say 7.6 but in the early evening it might be 8.0. You can only get an indication of consistency if the testing is the same time of day.

Test the pH of the tank water periodically over the week between water changes and see if it moves at all, or by how much. Keep a written record as sometimes it is useful to do this over weeks and months. Always test pH at the same tie of day when you test it on different days. There is a natural diurnal fluctuation so if you test in the early morning it might be say 7.6 but in the early evening it might be 8.0. You can only get an indication of consistency if the testing is the same time of day.
Today and yesterday tank pH testing was 2 pm and 1 pm so only an hour off :)

^^ This ^^

We've gotten the water safe for your fish, let's let them settle into their new healthy environment

Forget about ph for now; observe the fish, feed in moderation, and if you go 3 days with 0 AMM, ITES, AND ATES (a bit of nitrates won't hurt one bit), you can skip daily testing for those params...just BE CERTAIN to schedule weekly WC's, for proper tank maintenance....50% each week is a good, average amount, for most tanks...maintain your BB colony on the media by keeping it wet at all times, rinse media in old tank water only...and don't forget to add conditioner.....:p

Again, good job finishing off a cycle, your diligence has paid off, and on behalf of your fish, THANK YOU ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back