Corydoras wont stop dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That makes no sense, as you've typed it. :(
What do you mean by "not enough beneficial bacteria being pumped out"?
It won't be the water changes that are hurting anything, it'll be the ammonia in the water.

Concurring with what @Byron says.
I meant I just thought the fresh water was to much and the bacteria wasn't moving fast enough

The bacteria we want to grow are very slow. I can't remember the exact figures but it's something like the ammonia eaters take 24 hours to double in number, and the nitrite eaters take a few hours longer than that. As more grow, the numbers increase faster and it's starting off which seems to take forever.

The bacteria we want to grow are very slow. I can't remember the exact figures but it's something like the ammonia eaters take 24 hours to double in number, and the nitrite eaters take a few hours longer than that. As more grow, the numbers increase faster and it's starting off which seems to take forever.

True, here are the numbers. Nitrosomonas sp. ammonia-oxidizing bacteria can reproduce by binary division every 12+ hours, wile the nitrite-oxidizing Nitrospira sp. require up to 32 hours.

That makes a lot of sense. My pleco won't let me have the other dead pleco, she keeps running away with it. Can she eat the other pleco?

True, here are the numbers. Nitrosomonas sp. ammonia-oxidizing bacteria can reproduce by binary division every 12+ hours, wile the nitrite-oxidizing Nitrospira sp. require up to 32 hours.
Irrelevent question here...
But what is the limiting condition? Is it the availabilty of nitrogen compound? I mean given unlimited resources a hetrotrophic bacteria like E Coli will double in just 20 minutes (this despite the fact the DNA takes an hour to replicate; the daughter cells have already started to produce the grandaughter DNA before their own DNA is completed replicating)
If this the case... I would expect a fish in cycle to grow the bacteria much slower because of the necessity to starve them of energy in the form of nitrogen.

I wouldn't let her...guess what decomposing fish produce?...more ammonia...among other things
I know they do but she's just running around with the other one and very fast hard to catch it 🤣

Hold on I'm gonna get it out once and for all

Irrelevent question here...
But what is the limiting condition? Is it the availabilty of nitrogen compound? I mean given unlimited resources a hetrotrophic bacteria like E Coli will double in just 20 minutes (this despite the fact the DNA takes an hour to replicate; the daughter cells have already started to produce the grandaughter DNA before their own DNA is completed replicating)
If this the case... I would expect a fish in cycle to grow the bacteria much slower because of the necessity to starve them of energy in the form of nitrogen.

These numbers so far as I recall came from the scientific studies a few years ago that looked into the bacteria responsible for ammonia and nitrite oxidation in water. I will post links to the two primary papers below, this work was led by Dr. Tim Hovanec. Each species of bacteria can have different reproducing times, as I understand it [subject to correction], and yes, temperature and pH can affect the reproduction too. The waste control bacteria which causes a bacterial bloom can reproduce in 20 minutes for example. You might find my summary article on bacteria of interest, it is on Mike's blog here:

Paul C. Burrell, Carol M. Phalen, and Timothy A. Hovanec, “Identification of Bacteria Responsible for Ammonia Oxidation in Freshwater Aquaria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, December 2001, pp. 5791-5800.

Hovanec, T. A., L. T. Taylor, A. Blakis and E. F. DeLong, “Nitrospira- Like Bacteria Associated with Nitrite Oxidation in Freshwater Aquaria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 258-264.

Just wanted to let everyone know. The water came back 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate!!!!

I'm doing a 50% change just to be safe as well though :) I haven't lost anymore fish today.

Congrats on the clean water, and happy fish...nice job....don't fret over the ph for now....get a sample from your tap, let it sit out for 24H, then test the ph...and test the tank ph again then, too

DON'T try to change the ph, leave it be

Most reactions

trending

Back