Corydoras eggs - Fertile or Unfertile?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rhiannon_98

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a community tank and my albino cories have decided to lay eggs. This was not intentional but I am uncertain if they are fertile or not. If they are fertile, I would like to try and hatch them.

The eggs on the glass appear to be relatively clear/white (therefore unfertile I believe) but the eggs on the air line tube seem to have a bit more colour to them (hopefully fertilized).

I would like some advice regarding if they are fertile or not and any tips hatching them.

I don't have a spare tank. I understand you can gently remove them with your finger and use an airstone to prevent fungus.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180520_195820.jpg
    20180520_195820.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 2,026
  • 20180520_195712.jpg
    20180520_195712.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,975
How long have the eggs been there for?

Don't move or touch them, just leave them alone. If none of the other fish eat the eggs they should hatch in about a week and the babies can live in the substrate. The parents don't eat the eggs or young. The fry feed on infusoria and small organisms like rotifers. If you have a heavily planted tank there should be sufficient food in there for the fry. When the babies are a couple of weeks old you can feed them on newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms.

Thank you for your response.

At the time of taking the photo the eggs would have been a few hours old.

I left the eggs for a while but one of the adult corydoras was eating them unfortunately.

To combat this a make shift compartment was made and the eggs were transfer to an artificial plant. Today a mesh breeding box was purchased and the plant is now in that with about one third of the eggs saved.

Here is a photo of the eggs today, I am concerned they are infertile. The breeding box is right next to an air stone.

Attachments

• 20180521_230903.jpg
    20180521_230903.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 2,257
give them a few more days before you class them as infertile. It usually takes 4-5 days before you can see a baby fish in them.

Hi all,

I have a community tank and my albino cories have decided to lay eggs. This was not intentional but I am uncertain if they are fertile or not. If they are fertile, I would like to try and hatch them.

The eggs on the glass appear to be relatively clear/white (therefore unfertile I believe) but the eggs on the air line tube seem to have a bit more colour to them (hopefully fertilized).

I would like some advice regarding if they are fertile or not and any tips hatching them.

I don't have a spare tank. I understand you can gently remove them with your finger and use an airstone to prevent fungus.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have never been able to hatch cory eggs without removing them. I have a small fry tank (20 gallons) and if the eggs are on leaves, I cut the leaves and hang them in the fry tank. If they are on glass, I gently scoop them out with a credit card (clean) and try to attach them to a leaf. They will be very sticky and fairly easy to stick on something else. The eggs that are not white will be fertile. Make sure there is good aeration. I put an air stone underneath the leaf. They hatch in about 3 days and you don't need to feed them until the egg sack is gone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back