Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Record number of cases in washington yesterday. World case count is over 11 million. How in the world do so many people think "the pandemic is over, theres no need for any of this anymore"

Vaccines shouldn't cause problems if they use a simple design. You get the virus and kill it. You inject the dead virus into the human/ animal being vaccinated. The body's immune system responds to the dead virus and creates anti-bodies to that particular virus.

If the person/ animal gets infected by the live virus after that time, the body's immune system can react much quicker and deal with the virus as soon as it infects the body.

The only real issue is the preservative and other bits they add to the vaccine, many of which aren't needed but get added anyway for whatever reason.
Have they come up with a real vaccine yet?

Vaccines shouldn't cause problems if they use a simple design. You get the virus and kill it. You inject the dead virus into the human/ animal being vaccinated. The body's immune system responds to the dead virus and creates anti-bodies to that particular virus.

If the person/ animal gets infected by the live virus after that time, the body's immune system can react much quicker and deal with the virus as soon as it infects the body.

The only real issue is the preservative and other bits they add to the vaccine, many of which aren't needed but get added anyway for whatever reason.
Probably they add the muck so that they can patent the vaccine, and no-one else can copy it because they can't work out how much of "whatever" is in it - makes it harder to copy.

Big Money in Big Pharma.

Have they come up with a real vaccine yet?
There are about 100 vaccines that are currently being trialed around the world but none have been released to the general public.

I really don't understand why it is taking so long for the vaccine. They could do what they did with the Spanish Flu last century. Basically use the virus from a sick person to make the vaccine. There's plenty of sick people and it really shouldn't be taking this long with our knowledge and today's technology.

We know how the virus spreads. We know how it affects the cells. We know how to make a vaccine from dead virus cells. Just do it already.

There are about 100 vaccines that are currently being trialed around the world but none have been released to the general public.

I really don't understand why it is taking so long for the vaccine. They could do what they did with the Spanish Flu last century. Basically use the virus from a sick person to make the vaccine. There's plenty of sick people and it really shouldn't be taking this long with our knowledge and today's technology.

We know how the virus spreads. We know how it affects the cells. We know how to make a vaccine from dead virus cells. Just do it already.
The virus can mutate making the first vaccine less effective.

Would you want to be among the first people to get the vaccine once it is approved if it should come out by year end? I personally would wait a few months after it is released to see if side effects or worse is reported. But to each his own.

Many companies will realize that online shopping/business is better than in person.

Take McDonalds for example. If they close the inside of the restaurant, and use drive through only, they will save a ton of money. No refills, no bathroom billing, etc.

Would you want to be among the first people to get the vaccine once it is approved if it should come out by year end? I personally would wait a few months after it is released to see if side effects or worse is reported. But to each his own.
Yes the virus is mutating a bit but the main part remains the same and a vaccine for one strain should offer some protection for the mutated strains, albeit a little less effective.

No I won't be the first to get a vaccine. I have numerous health issues and will do the same as you and wait a couple of months.

-------------------------
Many companies will realize that online shopping/business is better than in person.
Lots of companies have seen a massive increase in online sales and you are correct in saying it saves them money. If you can sell the same items from your warehouse and have a couple of people wandering around picking and packing orders, it is a lot cheaper than having a store open with dozens of staff and paying enormous amounts of money in rent for being in a shopping centre. Not to mention power bills, public liability insurance and everything else associated with running a business that is open to the public.

Target Australia is shutting down a lot of stores claiming they aren't making any money. At the same time their online store is selling heaps, so it makes good financial sense for them, albeit at the loss of jobs for some employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if more retail stores remain closed after covid19 and those companies just sell stuff online.

Well I read making a vaccine is difficult to create because patients get better too quickly. I don't think vaccines are easy at all. When you look at the links you see unpredictable outcomes from the antibodies created.

What happens when you end lockdown too early:
Victoria in Australia is what happens when you end lockdown too early, and when people don't comply with the laws.

The US, UK, India and virtually every country in the world is the same. Just because numbers of infected patients is decreasing, doesn't mean it's over.

It's just a pity the numb nuts in power don't understand this. We have to get the economy back on track at all costs. Well, all costs means 5-10% of your population could die from this pandemic. Your call.

-----------------------
Update from Australia.
Victoria is locked down for the next 6 weeks as the government tries to track the infection.

People left Victoria and have taken the virus with them. There are new cases in the ACT and NSW that have come from Victoria.

WA has a couple of new cases and the NT has one.

--------
An aircraft full of people flew from Victoria to New South Wales (NSW) overnight and none of the people on the plane were tested upon landing. This is in breach of state and federal pandemic laws and now officials are rushing around trying to find the people and put them into quarantine.

--------
Apparently Australia didn't close its international border when this started and we have been receiving plane loads of people every day. Lots of these people have covid19 when they get here.

Last edited:
Apparently Australia didn't close its international border when this started and we have been receiving plane loads of people every day. Lots of these people have covid19 when they get here.

Well I heard on the news if the UK locked down a week sooner, would have saved 20,000 lives.

As it happens, when I went for a walk to my local MOT centre for my car (this is a yearly road worthy test for those not in the UK), I noticed at least 6 disposable gloves thrown into the street by people who couldn't be bothered to put them into a bin.

"
As the world battles the pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.

Some 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves are being placed into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.

Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating and underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world."

As it happens, when I went for a walk to my local MOT centre for my car (this is a yearly road worthy test for those not in the UK), I noticed at least 6 disposable gloves thrown into the street by people who couldn't be bothered to put them into a bin.

"
As the world battles the pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.

Some 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves are being placed into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.

Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating and underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world."
Do you dispose of your garbage in the sea?

Do you dispose of your garbage in the sea?

We don't in the UK, however, I once read an extraordinary story of a place I think in China which has a river that people throw their rubbish into as its convenient int hat it takes it away, anyway, they had to build like a damn kind of filter place to take it out, this included floating beds/furniture.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back