Convicts not spawning

stargirl22

Reaction score
:no: my convicts aren't breeding.... I have one pair in a 20 gal long tank, I'm sure one is female because her stripes have gotten darker and she has deep orange on her belly, and the male is huge with no color just dark gray with darker stripes. I've had them about 3 weeks, and they seem to get along fine with just a few minor spats. I have caves and flowerpots and a few plastic plants, temp is 77 F. ph is neutral. food is spirulina flakes, bloodworm, brine shrimp, tetra flakes. Is there something i can do in regards to helping them spawn? As far as temp, food ect? Help would be appreciated, thanks to all who answer :)

Well if you definately have a male and a female they will do the deed when they are ready. It may be they are still too young, one is still too young or you have 2 of the same sex.. If you have a male and female im sure sooner or later it will happen just give them time..

A large water change together with moving some pots around always seem to get my convicts in the mood. Other times, I will remove the female for a couple of days in another tank and return her and that seems to get them going as well. Honestly, it's so freakishly easy in my experience that I'm surprised yours haven't started. I'm sure it'll happen soon, then you'll be looking for an Oscar to help with the hundreds of fry you'll be wondering what to do about.

:kewlpics: What a gorgeous fish! thanks for both of your responses, good advice I'll definitely try the moving around the rocks a little, the water changes are done weekly 30% for all my tanks. I guess I have to be patient like you said, I'm so excited this is my first experience with fish that lay eggs and I can't wait. I'm thinking of moving so I can have room for more tanks, I'd like some kribs. Just 1 room devoted to fish! :fish: :fish: :fish:

Thanks!

Feed a variety of foods especially brine shrimp bloodworms etc. and do water changes 2-3 times a week. Like mentioned, they will spawn in time. I've had convicts ready the first day and also some that took weeks. Convicts can spawn at 1".

The male looks about maybe 2 1/2 " and the female is smaller, maybe 1 1/4" but she is getting very colorful, her stripes are blacker, her tummy looks a deep rose color and I can see bluish green on her fins on the bottom and top. Today I was doing a water change, I peeked in the cave and there was a circle where all the gravel has been removed i can see the bottom of the aqarium! One question I wanted to ask though, should I still do the water changes after they lay the eggs? Will it scare them and make them eat the eggs or fry?

Thanks for the help! :#

Most reactions

trending

Back