Coldwater To Tropical

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know/remember. I posted earlier in the year about my 420 litre ND aquarium and how I, well... spent so much on the filters, substrate etc etc I couldn't afford any lighting or plants etc :crazy: -_- haha. Well anyway, The first residents to go into it once it had cycled were 4 ghost koi. They've been in it now for 3 months and grown a fair bit and I'm thinking I'd better get them into my brother's pond at his house now whilst it's still summer (or so they tell us, wouldn't know it with this weather!) otherwise they'll be in the tank until spring and I dread to think what size they'll be then.

He's coming for them this week hopefully, and then I can start setting it up as a tropical setup. My question mainly is, what do I need to do? Will it require it being completely stripped out (I don't fancy taking out the 40kg or so of sand (which was different shades to go around the ornaments). I was hoping a good clean with the algae hoover and a large amount of water removed would be sufficient. The filtration though.. I have a Fluval 405 external and a Fluval 2 internal. Will they need new media, meaning starting a fishless cycle again or will a good scrubbing in my other tank's water a couple of times do the trick?

It isn't going to be an overnight thing getting new fish into it, I want to get some plants established in it first (I'd thought perhaps the fish waste in the substrate would be a good starter for the plants, along with the ferts, CO2 etc).. perhaps putting my upstairs CAE into the tank to keep tabs on the algae (or get a few Otos or an SAE to go in the new tank, not wanting a Pleco because I don't want any big bottom feeders).

Thanks for any help :)

Cold water bacteria and tropical bacteria are the same as they are all freshwater bacteria.

As soon as you remove the fish there will no longer be an ammonia source and so your tank (or more precisely filters) will begin to uncycle.

If you have your stock planned and are happy with the general layout of the tank (ie. you like the substrate) then just give it a good water change (30-40%) and get the water tested to make sure stats are ok.

If they are ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0 and nitrates roughly 10-15ppm above your tap water level then I see no reason you shouldn't go out and start stocking the tank the same day the koi are removed (once it's heated up to tropical temperatures of course).

Do you have some possible fish stock planned?

Hi glad to hear this is on its way now! :D I would do as curiosity said and get some fish the same day as you move the koi just make sure you move the koi early clean the tank out get it heated up to tropical temps then go out and start to get your fish I would start with something decent sized to start with as to keep as much of the bacteria as possible.

Are you still thinking about the South Americans we were on about before when you were in the process of ordering the tank?

Wills

Cheers guys! Gives me some relief to hear that! haha :hyper:

I still don't know what to put in it! hehe, but it will be a community tank. I'm starting reviewing options again, after having these boisterous chaps living in it I've decided I don't want anything too big, or anything that will mess up the tank. Would much prefer some healthy sized shoals..

Okay, I've done serious pondering over the (eventual) stocking of the tank.. at present I'm thinking something along the lines of.. :crazy:

Option 1: American Community

5 x Angelfish
4 x Bolivian Rams
12 x Black Widow Tetra
30 x Cardinals (??) (after 6 months) (Angels won't eat them will they? I know Neons are a no no).

and some Juuli Corys.. and maybe some Sterba Corys too

I was considering perhaps a large snail to keep the glass clean as I don't want a Pleco causing havoc. But would they more likely make a dart for the plants over the masses of algae that keep popping up? :crazy: My mum is sick at the thought of a snail of noticeable size in there, mind.

With dense planting along the back, primarily Amazon swords to the right side where the branch ornaments are, a couple of Hygrophila polysperma or likewise plant. Maybe one floating plant for the right as the waterflow will keep them in place. Simple plants until I know I can handle more demanding (and suprise, more colourful plants :rolleyes: )

For the foreground, centrally I may fix some Java Fern to the faux bogwood, lol. With slow growing grasses in patches around the rock. Would love to try an Umbrosum again after the one in my 65 litre died as it was a nice little plant.

Sounds nice that mate. Not totally sure when i say this but i think the angels will pair up leaving one loner? :sad:

I know, an odd number is unfair. I've read that having too few Angels increases the risk of bullying and the smaller Angel(s) getting too stressed, not enough food and even dying so 5 seemed like an harmonious number. If I get 6 is there any guarantee that I'll have 3 eventual pairs anyway? :unsure:

5 sounds like a good number to me. That way if you do get a pair and 3 singles then it wont be a problem cause the singles will probably mull around together and the pair shouldn't cause too much of a problem. And with 6 there is no guarantee of 3 pairs unless you are particularly adept at sexing young angels. Some people say they can... but there is barely any dinguishing features and most have to wait until they start pairing to know they have a male and female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back