Cloudy water need help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just got new tank for my betta. I put clay substrate in the tank and this happen, can you guys tell me when its gonna be back to normal? (Ive washed clay before putting in the tank)

Attachments

• CFC81C54-B165-4944-922C-A6E1488AF831.jpeg
    CFC81C54-B165-4944-922C-A6E1488AF831.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 117
Days, weeks or months, usually a week or two. You can always drain the water out and carefully refill it. As long as you don't disturb the substrate that should help.

Days, weeks or months, usually a week or two. You can always drain the water out and carefully refill it. As long as you don't disturb the substrate that should help.
When can i put the betta and plants? It still cloudy..

I just got new tank for my betta. I put clay substrate in the tank and this happen, can you guys tell me when its gonna be back to normal? (Ive washed clay before putting in the tank)
I had the same problem but it only took one night for the water to be clear with a filter.

If you empty the tank put a bowl on the substrate then fill the bowl up with water and keep filling it. That should allow a nice easy flow into your substrate with minimal disturbance. Plants should be fine to go in as soon as possible.

If you empty the tank put a bowl on the substrate then fill the bowl up with water and keep filling it. That should allow a nice easy flow into your substrate with minimal disturbance. Plants should be fine to go in as soon as possible.
Thank you, never thought of that :oops:

The easiest way to put water into a tank I find is using my psiphon but in reverse. I use a folding ladder with the latter being higher than my waterline place my 5 gallon bucket of new water and siphon it into the tank using the bowl method if it's a new tank if not just use keep the the ladder height just above the water line and the siphon line the water will slowly flow into the tank.

Water still cloudy...

do i need to rinse clay again?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to properly rinse the fluorite clay substrate? I washed it for 2 hours and put it in the tank still cloudy.

Last edited:
The proper way to rinse substrate is to put some down in a bucket, run water into it in a sink (or better yet outside) and stir the substrate around as the water overflows out of the bucket. It should only take a few minutes per bucket.

Since its already in the tank, it'll come clear with a few water changes.

Is there a filter running? Some mechanical filtration will certainly help.

If the substrate is Seachem's Flourite, you may have this for some time. I used this several years ago and found that the tank with the Flourite was never a clear as the other seven or eight tanks with either inert play sand or inert fine gravel. Rinsing it under the tap doesn't seem to improve it once you have the worst of the sediment rinsed off, which is a few rinsings.

Another thing I found was that it had little, probably no, benefit for plants. I still had to use liquid fertilizer and substrate tabs the same as with plain sand or gravel. And worst of all, it ripped the barbels off my cories and even took 1/3 of the lower jaw off of a panda cory. This is not a substrate for any bottom fish like cories, loaches, cichlids.

Last edited:
I take it this clay is in granular n not actual clay ? If that's the case just keep changing water or start again. I'm sure all will be ok given time.

If the substrate is Seachem's Flourite, you may have this for some time. I used this several years ago and found that the tank with the Flourite was never a clear as the other seven or eight tanks with either inert play sand or inert fine gravel. Rinsing it under the tap doesn't seem to improve it once you have the worst of the sediment rinsed off, which is a few rinsings.

Another thing I found was that it had little, probably no, benefit for plants. I still had to use liquid fertilizer and substrate tabs the same as with plain sand or gravel. And worst of all, it ripped the barbels off my cories and even took 1/3 of the lower jaw off of a panda cory. This is not a substrate for any bottom fish like cories, loaches, cichlids.
Yes it is seachems fluorite, i thought it was clay sorry, i bought these for planted betta tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back