Cleaning Glass & Sratches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Verminator89

Jack Dempsey Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now this is more than likely down to me being a little to heavy handed, and/or careless whilst cleaning the glass. But i'm sick and tired of scratching the glass.

My first tank, which i learnt the trade in is my 'beloved' Rio 180. I shall never, and i mean never sell this tank, because was my first in the hobby and it still has its many many uses. In the very least its a handy quarentine tank, and currently houses a few fish inbetween permenent homes. It is, admiteddly, scratched to oblivion through my first endevours within the hobby. I learnt many do's and dont's with this tank, including never lean sharp rocks up against the front whislt redecorating, and that gravel/sand will scratch the glass if dragged around whilst cleaning.

Just now i was cleaning the glass on my latest tank, my 280L Dempsey tank, which is a custom ND Aquatics tank....and i've just scratched it. Try as i might i just can't clean the glass without scratching it. Its driving me insane, and i'm sick of doing it.

Now ultimately this thread is just a thread to see what you all use to clean your glass, and how you do it. Have you found something that works especially well? Please share. I'd LOVE to know!?

Cheers,
James

I use an old tooth brush :) it even gets all the manky hard algae off and doesn't scratch the glass because theres nowehre for the sand to get caught :)

I use a long, rounded edge scraper. I have never scratched the glass with it. I have scratched the glass though with my scratchless scouring pad because I didn't see the tiny bit of gravel in it.

i'm interested in this also, i've somehow managed to scratch my tank, i've been using a scouring pad thats not supposed to scratch glass unless i had some gravel trapped in it but i'm normally very careful.

I'm nnew but haven't scartched the glass yet. I use an old hob scraper thing. Dunno what it's called, it's one of them things you use to clean those flat hobs.

watching this thread with interest,as i have a nd aquatics tank myself,and the glass is so thick my magnetic algae cleaner keeps coming apart and falling to the bottom of the tank!!! :shout:

^pfft just get your arm wet! the water's warm even, what's the problem :)

i used a kitchen wipe that has been washed a bunch of times, it cleans algae very effectively my tank is amazingly clear now. i'll be keeping that in my fishy arsenal from now on!

Most reactions

trending

Back