Hi guys!

I have a 36 gal freshwater tank.  Living in the tank are:
3 jewel cichlids which are about 3 inches
1 convict cichlid a little over 2 inches
2 dempseys I recently got that are maybe 1.5 inches
2 featherfin catfish
2 peacock eels
1 rubber lipped pleco about 2 inches
and I also added 3 african dwarf frogs into the mix that I had in another tank (wasn't sure what to expect, wanted to get rid of the small tank they were in.  Assumed they would just get eaten by the cichlids but they are THRIVING in this tank.)

anyhoo,
2 of my Jewels have paired up and laid some eggs in the back corner of the tank all over the house decoration.  The chemistry of the tank has been interesting ever since.  The pair dominates their back corner and the rest of the fish are all backed up on the opposite side of the tank.

I tried to move the pair and their eggs into that small tank I had stopped using, but the house was too big to fit.  I tried to gently rub off as many eggs as I could into the new tank, then added the parents.  I decided about an hour later that was probably a bad idea, and put the parents back into the main tank before they got too uncomfortable.

The pair is back to controlling that back corner.

What I would like to know is:

1. How long do you think it will be until my pair lays eggs again?
2. When they do lay eggs should I attempt to transfer the eggs again or just leave everything as is and see how it unfolds?

Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back