Cherry or tiger barbs.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jake3030

Reaction score
Hey guys Stocking question for a 30 gallon, PH7.6 I have a 30 gallon tank, probably running (after the cycle) for 2 months now. Sadly a disease killed off my fish and I am left with 1 swordtail 2 bosemans rainbow, 4 green emerald corys and a chinese algae eater. Went to my LFS today to see what the had and they had both cherry and tiger barbs that i was interested in. Would like to know if either is compatible with my tank and if they both are which is better and why? Thanks for the help! Oh ps for a centerpiece fish i was thinking of three options, 1.Angelfish 2.Gourami 3.Betta (i know they kill things but my friend has had success in a community tank. Insight on that appreciated as well. Thanks again!

Before we can recommend species for you, we need to know;

the dimensions of the tank (some fish need more swimming room than others; some fish, like angels are tall, and need deep tanks)

the hardness of your water (soft water fish, like gouramis and angels, don't do well in hard water, and hard water fish, like livebearers and rainbows, do not live long happy lives in soft)

You'll have to be more specific about which species of gourami you're thinking of, as there are very many, with huge differences in both size and temperament.

Bettas are not community fish. They do vary in character, so sometimes people can be lucky and have it work, but the chances of it going wrong are very high and, for the safety and welfare of the fish, it's better not to tempt fate.

Before we can recommend species for you, we need to know;

the dimensions of the tank (some fish need more swimming room than others; some fish, like angels are tall, and need deep tanks)

the hardness of your water (soft water fish, like gouramis and angels, don't do well in hard water, and hard water fish, like livebearers and rainbows, do not live long happy lives in soft)

You'll have to be more specific about which species of gourami you're thinking of, as there are very many, with huge differences in both size and temperament.

Bettas are not community fish. They do vary in character, so sometimes people can be lucky and have it work, but the chances of it going wrong are very high and, for the safety and welfare of the fish, it's better not to tempt fate.

Hey again so I have a 30 by 12 by 18. I dont know the exact hardness and it is not on my water companys site. However where i live the water is on the harder side and having city water like me my LFS runs their water a bit hard. I was thinking a powder blue gourami. Thanks for the advice on the betta, that is what i had heard as well but wanted to see what people had to say. Thanks again!

Leaving for the present the important matter of the hardness (you need to find this out, either call the water authority or see if the store will test your tap water), there are some issues in post #1. Fluttermoth dealt with Betta, so that's out. The Chinese Algae Eater I suggest you get rid of soon, hopefully the store will take it back. This fish gets 5-6 inches in length, and frequently becomes nasty. It eats less and less algae as it matures.

The Rainbowfish need a shoal, but here we come to another problem...tank size. This species needs at least six, more being better as the males will be more colourful. Attaining over 4 inches in length (males, females around 3+) needs at least a 4-foot tank for adequate swimming room. Perhaps the store will take these two back? You haven't room for the necessary shoal.

Angelfish and Gourami. I would not advise angelfish; this too is a shoaling species, meaning five or six minimum in a 4-foot or larger tank. There are other issues I won't bog this down with. Gourami, could work, depending upon the species. Some get largish, some are mean, some absolutely must have soft water. Tankmates have to be carefully chosen, as sedate fish like gourami frequently end up being targeted and fin nipped. Which brings me to the barbs.

Tiger Barbs will not work, unless you remove all the other fish, and get a group of 8-12 for the 30g tank, and no other fish. Tigers are inherently nippy, and in larger groups like this they can work out, but no other fish unless a much larger tank, and then no sedate fish. Cherry barb are more peaceful, but let's see the water parameters (GH) first, and go from there.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Byron.

Leaving for the present the important matter of the hardness (you need to find this out, either call the water authority or see if the store will test your tap water), there are some issues in post #1. Fluttermoth dealt with Betta, so that's out. The Chinese Algae Eater I suggest you get rid of soon, hopefully the store will take it back. This fish gets 5-6 inches in length, and frequently becomes nasty. It eats less and less algae as it matures.

The Rainbowfish need a shoal, but here we come to another problem...tank size. This species needs at least six, more being better as the males will be more colourful. Attaining over 4 inches in length (males, females around 3+) needs at least a 4-foot tank for adequate swimming room. Perhaps the store will take these two back? You haven't room for the necessary shoal.

Angelfish and Gourami. I would not advise angelfish; this too is a shoaling species, meaning five or six minimum in a 4-foot or larger tank. There are other issues I won't bog this down with. Gourami, could work, depending upon the species. Some get largish, some are mean, some absolutely must have soft water. Tankmates have to be carefully chosen, as sedate fish like gourami frequently end up being targeted and fin nipped. Which brings me to the barbs.

Tiger Barbs will not work, unless you remove all the other fish, and get a group of 8-12 for the 30g tank, and no other fish. Tigers are inherently nippy, and in larger groups like this they can work out, but no other fish unless a much larger tank, and then no sedate fish. Cherry barb are more peaceful, but let's see the water parameters (GH) first, and go from there.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Byron.

Wow ok Byron seems like I screwed up on this. I will defienitly see about the algae eater. The rainbows arnt from my LFS so that could be an issue. Hopefully they will be fine just the two of them (unless you have another suggestion, Just called my friend and he said he couldnt add them to his tanks at the moment) I will also call my water company and see about that as well. What GH would I need for the barbs? Thanks for the help Byron!

Wow ok Byron seems like I screwed up on this. I will defienitly see about the algae eater. The rainbows arnt from my LFS so that could be an issue. Hopefully they will be fine just the two of them (unless you have another suggestion, Just called my friend and he said he couldnt add them to his tanks at the moment) I will also call my water company and see about that as well. What GH would I need for the barbs? Thanks for the help Byron!

Better to approach the water parameter issue from the number and then look at suitable fish. When you call them, ask for the general or total hardness, and when they give you the number also get their unit of measurement or we won't know much more than now. Building up a community tank, meaning one with more than a single species, requires a lot of thought to get compatible fish...water parameters, behaviours, numbers, decor, water flow, light all factor into a fish's environment and all this is part of the fish's expectation.

The problem with the two lonely rainbowfish is that without a group, shoaling fish frequently become aggressive, and may go after each other, and other fish too. This is their only way to respond to frustration. The need for a shoal (group) is programmed into their DNA, so we absolutely cannot change their behaviours if related to this. They may be OK, depending what other fish they are eventually combined with, or they may not, impossibe to tell until it occurs if it does.

Ok and thanks again. I will call in the morn when the treatment plant is open.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back