Changing Substrate

Rickster

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kingswinford (West Midlands)
Hi,


I am toying with the idea of changing my gravel substrate to sand? I purchased some play sand from toys r us, as I had read somewhere that this is ok to use. How do I go about changing the gravel to sand?, how long does it take for the sand to settle before fish can go back in?, is it a difficult process to do? Any ideas or advice would be very helpful.




Thanks
 
Just remove the gravel using a bowl or which method you prefer. Once the sand is in, turn the filter off for 6-12 hours and the sand should settle. once the sand has settled turn the filter back on and try not to disturb the sand otherwise it will get sucked into the filter and blown out. Sand blasted tanks are no fun.
 
I used Argos play sand, washed it for about an hour & it settled completely within 20 minutes.
 
I just switch my gravel to sand last week. It's a pain in the but it took me 2 hr. I put most of my tank water in the holding tank. Put my decorations in that tank. . With the water low I caught all my fish put them in a holding tank.

Then I scooped the gravle out with a small container. Then syphened the gunk as much as I could out. I had rinsed my sand a lot before so I put it down filled the water half way added my décor and the water was. Bit cludy I added my fish and the water from the holding tank back in. Caught all the fish again And in they went.

The water cleared up with in a day and a half.

It was a project but I'm glad I did it. The fish like it.
 
im gonna be doing this soon aswell! good luck mate!
 
Iv just changed from sand and soil to gravel in my shrimp tanks. Gravel to sand is easy.
 
Make sure you wash the sand. Put it in a bucket, pour tap water in, swish, water out. Keep doing this until it's almost clear.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top