Cardinal Plant And Banana Plant Not Doing Well?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LicianDragon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20gal planted community tank. I use two 18watt flouri-glo lightbulbs and eco-complete substrate. All plants are doing fine except my cardinal and banana plant. The cardinal plant has spots of discoloration, like the leaves have been damaged. The banana plant's leaves constantly wilt and die. Every leaf is a pale yellow with prominent veining. Pictures of both below(sorry for poor quality =(). Any idea what could be causing this?
WP_000598_zpsd92555ba.jpg

WP_000599_zpsa66511a4.jpg

Do you add any fertilisers at the moment? And how heavily stocked is the tank? This will help determine if it's a lack of nutrients that are causing the problems :)

I don't add fertilizer no. I use a substrate specifically for planted aquariums so I don't have to add it. It's eco-complete plant substrate.

How long are your lights on daily? You could try increasing the duration light exposure.

The problem you're describing sounds like Chlorosis. This is due to a lack of nutrients that inhibits the production of carbohydrates and means the plants aren't producing enough chlorophyll, hence the pale spots and yellowing of leaves.

Dosing some extra ferts in small amounts could be an idea. It could also be symptomatic of low CO2 and NO3 - I know you want this to be as low as possible for your fish, but plants need it! Admittedly, it's a bit odd that it's only those 2 types that are affected... 

So, you could try lights on for longer, extra fertiliser, CO2 and NO3.

I have t

fm1978 said:
How long are your lights on daily? You could try increasing the duration light exposure.

The problem you're describing sounds like Chlorosis. This is due to a lack of nutrients that inhibits the production of carbohydrates and means the plants aren't producing enough chlorophyll, hence the pale spots and yellowing of leaves.

Dosing some extra ferts in small amounts could be an idea. It could also be symptomatic of low CO2 and NO3 - I know you want this to be as low as possible for your fish, but plants need it! Admittedly, it's a bit odd that it's only those 2 types that are affected... 

So, you could try lights on for longer, extra fertiliser, CO2 and NO3.
I have the lights on 12 hours a day normally. I'll try dosing some CO2 and see if that helps. It is weird. I don't think it's nutrients as I have plants that are far more nutrient dependent and they're doing just fine. How do I go about increasing NO3?

You can get NO3 to dose it, but, to save money and as an experiment, you could try (if your tank is cycled well) do fewer water changes and allow the nitrates to build up naturally. Rather than water changes to control nitrate levels let the plants do it instead. If you already do minimum water changes it might have to be buying and adding!

fm1978 said:
You can get NO3 to dose it, but, to save money and as an experiment, you could try (if your tank is cycled well) do fewer water changes and allow the nitrates to build up naturally. Rather than water changes to control nitrate levels let the plants do it instead. If you already do minimum water changes it might have to be buying and adding!
I have been doing weekly 35% water changes. I'm going to try cutting back and keep an eye on my water chemistry. 

cut back on your lighting period 12hrs a day is too long,try 6hrs and see what happens

shoulders said:
cut back on your lighting period 12hrs a day is too long,try 6hrs and see what happens

I disagree, shoulders. You can't really give a plant too much light. Yes, in nature there is a light and dark period of varying times depending on the season, but, throughout summer, plants would easily be exposed to 12 hours of light per day.

Heat from an intense light source would be a problem, yes, but I doubt that's the problem here.

fm1978 said:

I disagree, shoulders. You can't really give a plant too much light. Yes, in nature there is a light and dark period of varying times depending on the season, but, throughout summer, plants would easily be exposed to 12 hours of light per day.

Heat from an intense light source would be a problem, yes, but I doubt that's the problem here.
If a plant gets a lot of light it needs plenty of nutrients to match, if the nutrients aren't there the plant will suffer. In nature this is not likely to be a problem but in our small tanks it can happen, so the suggestion of less light was a good idea really. that and more nutrients

shoulders said:
lots of light+nutrients-no co2=poor plant growth

With respect, shoulders, I did suggest extra CO2 and ferts.

So, the equation actually be; lots of light + nutrients + CO2 = (hopefully) nice plant growth!

Your math report card would have a red mark on it if were your teacher! 
tongue2.gif

Just to throw my equation into the mix lol

Not too much light + plenty of nutrients + co2 = sucess!

Or for success without co2 - low light and plenty of nutrients.

These combined with good tank housekeeping and water changes.

Note my emphasis on not too much light! Co2 or not. Too much light seem to be the main reason people have problems with their planted tanks and none planted tanks as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back