Canisters or sump??

I like the bottom one, the white looks nice.

Do you decide on a canister or sump?
I like the white too. Its that or an oak colour what will match our other furniture

Ill be going for a canister again. Fx4 is what im thinking but im taking in mind what @AbbeysDad mentioned about paying a premium for fluval etc and going to look around to see if i can get better value

For the record, I like my sump filter. To be fair, the last canister filter I owned (20+ years ago) did not have disconnects values on the lines and was not self-siphoning. It was a pain in the a** to clean.

If I bought a canister filter for a big tank, I would still try a DIY internal overflow box for the intake, just would not drill holes in the tank. I like how clean the water surface is, I believe it helps on gas exchange, and how the tank is a constant water level. How much water the overflow box holds may be an issue with evaporation.

Last edited:
For the record, I like my sump filter. To be fair, the last canister filter I owned (20+ years ago) did not have disconnects values on the lines and was not self-siphoning. It was a pain in the a** to clean.

If I bought a canister filter for a big tank, I would still try a DIY internal overflow box for the intake, just would not drill holes in the tank. I like how clean the water surface is, I believe it helps on gas exchange, and how the tank is a constant level. How much water the overflow box holds may be an issue with evaporation.
"To be fair, the last canister filter I owned (20+ years ago) did not have disconnects values on the lines and was not self-siphoning. It was a pain in the a** to clean."

Nowadays, if you buy the right one, they're no harder to maintain than an HOB...I love my Eheim Classic 2215, had it since '13 running great with no issues....

"To be fair, the last canister filter I owned (20+ years ago) did not have disconnects values on the lines and was not self-siphoning. It was a pain in the a** to clean."

Nowadays, if you buy the right one, they're no harder to maintain than an HOB...I love my Eheim Classic 2215, had it since '13 running great with no issues....
You can also get the valves separately and attach them to the lines. My canister filter came without (probably because of the size) but then I added the valves. Like night and day!

Like night and day!
Understood. That's why I said to be fair. There has been big improvement in canister filters in the past 20 years.

I would not recommend a freshwater sump filter to anyone, buy a canister. But I love mine, I enjoyed the challenge of building it and it is working great.

Understood. That's why I said to be fair. There has been big improvement in canister filters in the past 20 years.

I would not recommend a freshwater sump filter to anyone, buy a canister. But I love mine, I enjoyed the challenge of building it and it is working great.
I really like seeing what sumps can do. My biggest tank is 12.7 gallons so I could never justify needing/having one. ?

I really like seeing what sumps can do. My biggest tank is 12.7 gallons so I could never justify needing/having one. ?

The plan for my sump filter, it will be used for a 20, 29 and 75 gallon tanks, so much room for expansion. However, I may start work on a 75 gallon Mbuna tank. My LFS sells 75 gallon framed tanks for $100, thats cheap

Of course, Mrs Mad is unaware of these plans. Today she was wondering why am I digging up all these rocks frozen in the ground today :)

The plan for my sump filter, it will be used for a 20, 29 and 75 gallon tanks, so much room for expansion. However, I may start work on a 75 gallon Mbuna tank. My LFS sells 75 gallon framed tanks for $100, thats cheap

Of course, Mrs Mad is unaware of these plans. Today she was wondering why am I digging up all these rocks frozen in the ground today :)
Have you started a thread on your sump? I want to hear about it!

I have a sump for my 42gal and I love it's power. In fact it's too powerful for the setup I have (learning curve and all). But I'm thinking of re doing that tank with higher stocking.

Plus, I want to hear about your mbuna build. I'm planning one as well right now, and would love to compare notes with someone else undergoing the same process.

Have you started a thread on your sump? I want to hear about it!

I have a sump for my 42gal and I love it's power. In fact it's too powerful for the setup I have (learning curve and all). But I'm thinking of re doing that tank with higher stocking.

Plus, I want to hear about your mbuna build. I'm planning one as well right now, and would love to compare notes with someone else undergoing the same process.
Same here, I would love to share some ideas. Being snowed in, that's on my agenda tomorrow. I plan to write something up tomorrow and post it in the tank journals.

That's the best news in a few days! In terms of good news though, you might have to compete with us getting near freezing temps this coming weekend. I plan on grilling some steaks to celebrate! (For those not familiar with Minnesota this is because it will be 30C warmer this weekend than it is right now.)

I look forward to your sump or mbuna thread!

Ill be going for a canister again. Fx4 is what im thinking but im taking in mind what @AbbeysDad mentioned about paying a premium for fluval etc and going to look around to see if i can get better value
As I was looking for a canister for my 110g stock tank, I ended up buying a Polar Aurora (unbranded Sunsun) HW 304B, 525gph for about $75. That was well over a year ago and I'm very happy with the filter!

Most reactions

trending

Back