Canisters or sump??

I ran two FX6 on my 500 ltr I wouldn’t take the manufacturer ratings you want to aim for about 6 - 10 times turnover unless you have fish that need lower flow like angelfish or discus. I have an Oase biomaster 250 thermo and it is really great but I don’t think one 600 would do this tank you would need a couple.

Wills
Was your 500ltr planted Wills? Im really not sure now with getting 1 or 2 canisters lol:dunno:

'Stop the insanity' (old Susan Powters [1992] quote) and don't over filter. A single large canister filter should do the job!
Now Fluval is great and the FX6 move a lot of water, but you pay a premium. Reminds me of back in the day the cost of an IBM pc vs. Dell, Acer, or leading edge.
About a year ago I was looking for a canister for my 110g stock tank. I wanted decent capacity at a reasonable price. I chose a Polar Aurora HW 304 B, which is an unbranded Sunsun - 4 trays, 525GPH...for $75! Runs like a champ and I saved a bundle.
Don't get me wrong, Fluval's are a great filter, but they're on the high end price wise.
Then again, I'm a fan of the Aquaclear HOB filters (and have 3 AC70's). (Now Fluval, formerly Hagen). I just might consider an AC110. Or perhaps you go with the canister and add an AC110 if absolutely necessary.
Many options.
That sounds a real good deal. Just shows you its worth shopping around and the big brands arent always the best option.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm fairly sure good circulation and mechanical filtration is going to be your main concern, with the plants taking care of nitrogen rather than BB
But this is by no means an answer from someone with experience

I'm fairly sure good circulation and mechanical filtration is going to be your main concern, with the plants taking care of nitrogen rather than BB
But this is by no means an answer from someone with experience
Going to need to do my research i think. Im in no major rush so times on my side to get it right:)

Going to need to do my research i think. Im in no major rush so times on my side to get it right:)
Looking forward to seeing the development of it!

I recently found myself a copy of Diana Walstad's book and its been quite an education!
If you havent got a copy, ive got a pdf version so pass us your email if you want

Was your 500ltr planted Wills? Im really not sure now with getting 1 or 2 canisters lol:dunno:
It occasionally had plants in it but I had a lot of herbivores and nibblers so they didnt last too long. I would really recommend getting 2 filters on a tank like this. Depending on what kind of fish you want is what you aim for in terms of turn over - 2 FX6s do 1500 lph so I was doing 3000lph on a 500 litre tank for 6x. There are some bigger ehiems I think but its also about putting the most efficeint media in there something like Seachem Matrix or pond gurus bio sticks are probably the best around but expensive.

There are always cheaper options and some of them are really good but I've never tried them.

Wills :)

Really depend what you want to stock and how much flow you want. I had a 406 in a 450 liter and it was more than enough. I would probably just go for 1, have heard good reports on the FX but personally would not go more than FX4 Plenty of choices out there though.

Thanks for all your input guys :good:
Really appreciate it.

Have you started a build journal on this yet Russ?

Have you started a build journal on this yet Russ?
No ive decided to put the big tank on the back burner for a while (even though ive been planning the scape most of today lol). I think with the 4 tanks i have already and with all my other commitments throughout the week adding a 600 litre to my collection might be too much at the moment. I dont want the maintance on the tanks to become an unwanted chore.

I have noticed the difference going from 3 to 4 tanks and a 600 would probably double my weekly maintance shedule.

Whether my will power holds out is a different matter:whistle:

No ive decided to put the big tank on the back burner for a while (even though ive been planning the scape most of today lol). I think with the 4 tanks i have already and with all my other commitments throughout the week adding a 600 litre to my collection might be too much at the moment. I dont want the maintance on the tanks to become an unwanted chore.

I have noticed the difference going from 3 to 4 tanks and a 600 would probably double my weekly maintance shedule.

Whether my will power holds out is a different matter:whistle:
That makes a lot of sense. And i think the key phrase is not wanting it to become a chore. This hobby must remain enjoyable, and most of all, we should spend most of our time doing nothing but gazing at the tanks, surely!? At the same time though Russ, being incredibly selfish, I'd love to see you do a 600 litre as you'd do a great job!

(4 tanks? I think I only knew about 2!)

That makes a lot of sense. And i think the key phrase is not wanting it to become a chore. This hobby must remain enjoyable, and most of all, we should spend most of our time doing nothing but gazing at the tanks, surely!? At the same time though Russ, being incredibly selfish, I'd love to see you do a 600 litre as you'd do a great job!

(4 tanks? I think I only knew about 2!)
Yeah well thats It. hard choice because its a project i really want to do but like you say we should spend most of our time doing nothing but enjoying them. Its definitely something i will do tho just not yet..(next week maybe :rofl:)

Yeah got a 200, 105, 85, and a 55. :fish:

Yeah well thats It. hard choice because its a project i really want to do but like you say we should spend most of our time doing nothing but enjoying them. Its definitely something i will do tho just not yet..(next week maybe :rofl:)

Yeah got a 200, 105, 85, and a 55. :fish:
Do you already have the (6ft) tank...?

Do you already have the (6ft) tank...?
No, my finger as been over the buy button on more than one occasion but i have resisted so far which is a miracle in itself :hyper:

Just going to hide the money under the floor boards or up the shed so the wife dont find it lol

Help guys,

Which one?:dunno:View attachment 129077
20210215_194811.jpg
20210215_195134.jpg
20210215_195147.jpg

Not sure on colour yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back