FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
If you had a 6ft 600+ litre tank (160g+), would you use canisters or a sump?

If you have one or the other use it. Otherwise use whichever you prefer. I'm assuming you will plant in a similar way to your other tanks - in which case the bio filtration capacity doesn't really matter. So its really just mechanical filtration and circulation that you need.
Is the tank drilled?

If you have one or the other use it. Otherwise use whichever you prefer. I'm assuming you will plant in a similar way to your other tanks - in which case the bio filtration capacity doesn't really matter. So its really just mechanical filtration and circulation that you need.
Is the tank drilled?
1 of the tanks im looking at is drilled, the other 2 arent.

I was thinking of purchasing 2 canisters but i wasnt sure if a sump would suit a larger tank better. I dont know much about sumps tbh but i like the fact it saves space in your tanks with everything going in the sump underneath:)

That's a tough call as both are good and can work. On my 100g stock tank, I have both! But that's partly due to my anoxic biocenosis filtration basket experiment.
I think I just might go with a large canister filter, especially if the tank is not drilled for an overflow as overflow boxes can be tricky.
In the end, either will work, it's just a matter of choice.

Canister but only because sumps terrify me.

I think im leaning more towards a canister filter myself purely because i know nothing about sumps. But would of considered one if you guys said they were more suited.

Going to look into the fluval FX series

Thanks guys :)

Look at the Hydor external heaters. I ran one for about 15 years with a canister. One less thing in the tank. Even with a canister drilled tanks are so much easier.

Look at the Hydor external heaters. I ran one for about 15 years with a canister. One less thing in the tank. Even with a canister drilled tanks are so much easier.
Will do thanks Sean, ive seen some Oase canisters with built in heaters actually. Biggest runs upto a 600 litre i think.

A Hydor with a fx4 might be a good option tho:good:

I ran two FX6 on my 500 ltr I wouldn’t take the manufacturer ratings you want to aim for about 6 - 10 times turnover unless you have fish that need lower flow like angelfish or discus. I have an Oase biomaster 250 thermo and it is really great but I don’t think one 600 would do this tank you would need a couple.

Wills

'Stop the insanity' (old Susan Powters [1992] quote) and don't over filter. A single large canister filter should do the job!
Now Fluval is great and the FX6 move a lot of water, but you pay a premium. Reminds me of back in the day the cost of an IBM pc vs. Dell, Acer, or leading edge.
About a year ago I was looking for a canister for my 110g stock tank. I wanted decent capacity at a reasonable price. I chose a Polar Aurora HW 304 B, which is an unbranded Sunsun - 4 trays, 525GPH...for $75! Runs like a champ and I saved a bundle.
Don't get me wrong, Fluval's are a great filter, but they're on the high end price wise.
Then again, I'm a fan of the Aquaclear HOB filters (and have 3 AC70's). (Now Fluval, formerly Hagen). I just might consider an AC110. Or perhaps you go with the canister and add an AC110 if absolutely necessary.
Many options.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you planning this one to be heavily planted?

The tank will be 660ltrs. I thought of getting 2 fluval 406/7 series at first but with me planning a heavily planted tank im thinking maybe having a single FX series.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back