Can We All Stop Jumping On Everyone?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ooooo topic resurrection!! :p

lets start by saying that the number one all time most irritating thing is when someone posts without reading all of the previous posts. i say this in order to explain why i'm only now posting my own opinion. :lol:

i like to think that i fall somewhere in between "straight-shooting" and "huggy". but one thing that i always try to do when explaining why things should be done a certain way is point out how proper fishkeeping benefits the fishkeeper.

fish that are well kept generally look better, with more defined markings and brighter colors. healthy fish also show off their fins better. good maintenance keeps algae under control and generally makes a tank look better. understocking reduces the need for rigorous maintenance. overfiltering allows for overstocking. respecting a fish's territorial needs means that its tankmates are less likely to lose an eye or suffer other unattractive wounds. keeping predators with prey fish is overall expensive. feeding store-bought feeders risks the life of your expensive predator; feeding goldfish shortens its lifespan. breeding VT mutts and other dirt-common fish makes the fry hard to sell and not worth much money. keeping a fish in an undersized tank makes it hard to keep things clean and risks stunting. stunting will deform your fish.

if you put things in terms of how they benefit the fishkeeper instead of the fish, then you pretty well sidestep the expected differences in ethical values between being a fish owner and being a fishkeeper. since ethics is often the most "flammable" of issues, putting things in very shallow and people-oriented terms helps keep the discussion at a less volatile level while still communicating information vital to the well-being of the fish. if the person that i'm speaking to is someone that i'm familiar with and seems harbor a sense of ethical obligation to the fish, then i start to put things in terms of "right and wrong". otherwise i don't bother. (except when horomonal, already tweaked at someone else, or just generally moody :p)

however, i am not afraid to call someone out about poor forum conduct nor do i hestitate in identifying bad advice-giving habits. bad advice, i frequently leave alone unless i'm pretty confident.

--EDIT--
i agree with paulMTS (who i kinda miss) that this isn't the same forum that i joined. i'm not certain that i would call it better or worse, but it is not the same. its a lot more mellow and it seems like there's not as many "serious" fishkeepers having serious discussions. the mods also don't post as much as they used to do. i'm not certain whether that's a result of climate change or just the increased number of posts-per-day, but it still makes a difference. there's also an increased interest among the membership with the emotions of how people should be treated but a decreased interest in the philosophy of how information should be communicated. in case you couldn't guess, i'm more interested in pedagogy ;)

That's my favorite TFF philosopher! :wub:

Play sand is near by; come on over and pick it up, chilledtim.

The key is as pica-nuttalli says: Communication skills. Communication is about getting and recieving messages. Matching communication styles can be important. Communicate the information to the person in a manner that they can recieve it. Some want it blunt; some are easily hurt and will only hear screaming if you are too blunt. Some are tender with the message, and the guy will walk away before you finish, or their eyes will roll back, and they fall asleep--Plunk!

Match the message to the hearer and sometimes the message giver.

I agree with you pica_nuttalli- its the way you go about handing out advice or info that is most important when it comes to getting the message across. I would say that i generally follow your tactics in telling people the facts (because its the facts that people need to know). The facts about fish keeping don't need to be dressed up to look nice, however i think you should still be careful/wary in the way you go about handing out info.
As i said beforehand though, its better to leave cruelty issues aside though as everybody has different opinions on that sort of subject with fish (the science isn't always very clear on such issues). However, whether someone acknowledges cruelty in fish or not, there are numerous bennefets to looking after your fish well either way, whatever your beliefs are.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back