Can We All Stop Jumping On Everyone?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Good luck with this issue guys.
I am watching my fave forum( not this one) slowly disintergrate for some of the reasons above and its not nice when a good community of people who become friends and have fun just falls to pieces.
i really hope you can keep this forum as good as it is.
Btw Wilder- i think you do an excellent job :)

I like how the whole forum gets generalized as being bad because of what 5-10 people?

and what... 5-10 topics?

and I don't know why it's not a good thing to tell people their tanks are too small for their fish long term.. if someone is new, how are they supposed to know their clown loaches are going to outgrow their 20g tank unless someone tells them?

These topics are so annoying!

I don't think it's a question of telling people that their tanks are to small, it's how it's told in the first place.
It doesn't hurt to be polite and helpful, after all treat others how you yourself would want to be treated.

I would rather someone say ''your tank is overstocked you need to get rid of fish or they're going to be stunted and die''

rather then

''i think it might be a good idea to consider removing a fish or two so your other fish will be happier!!!''

What would be wrong with that? As has been said before if members are too harsh then others won't bother coming back to the forum. Instead they'll probably end up taking rubbish advice from their lfs and causing more harm anyway!
At least by being nice and trying to help there is a good chance that people will give their fish the care that they need.

I don't think people realize what can happen to their fish when they overstock their tanks.. I think being blunt and telling them what will happen to their fish is a better way to get the point across... sugar coating it makes it seem like it's not a big deal, when in reality is it.

I agree with stang1 I tell members if there tank is overstocked, but I try to do it in a polite way, so there willing to stay around and learn, so we can help them sort it out.
At the end of the day the fish end up suffering if the member runs off somewhere else and some sites are not that good.
We all make mistakes and its having the time and patiience to help someone else who is badly in need of sound advice.
Seen plenty of members get off to a bad start and now there on here helping others, thats what it's all about.

Yes but on the other hand being harsh will just put the member off and they won't take the advice anyway.
I've had terrible advice from one lfs I used to visit and refuse to go back there. I've asked questions on here and people have been friendly and helpful. If I was to receive a rude reply I'd be inclined to say "stuff it" and not bother with the forum at all!
You'll find on posts that most people have been incredibly helpful and others have taken the advice given to them. There will always be the odd member who isn't prepared to listen and do things their way whether your harsh or not.
All I'm saying is to give people a chance and remember we were all new to it at one point and would have appreciated people being nice, not flaming!

When people shout I turn my ears off so i don't know how that works when you have to be brutal.
I find it rather sad.

vacouver never meant it the way it sounded, shouting it not nice.
I would rather deal with a bad situation in a positive light so some good comes out of it.
Shouting no never seen much good come out of it.

Oooh, I thought it had been a long time since one of these threads cropped up!

Good to see the huggy huggy crowd out in force for Crimbo. ;)

:lol: It comes & goes in waves. The only pattern I can see is around the holidays, when people are a little edgy due to the hecticness, and around the middle/end of summer, when kids who are out of school get bored & like to stir things up a bit.

Honestly, it's been pretty mellow since general chat has been gone.

Most reactions

trending

Back