Can someone help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kirsty90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So it's been about 20 years since I last saw a pregnant platy. Can someone please confirm for me that I am correct in thinking this girl is carrying babies? And if so, any clues as to how long she may have left before she births some tiny fry?

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_122521.jpg
    IMG_20211110_122521.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211110_122649.jpg
    IMG_20211110_122649.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20211110_122644.jpg
    IMG_20211110_122644.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 54
Well, she doesn't look pregnant. But if she is, she's definitely at an early stage.
She's not a genuine platy, btw. Looking at the head and the dorsal, this specimen must have swordtail and variatus platy influence.

Well, she doesn't look pregnant. But if she is, she's definitely at an early stage.
She's not a genuine platy, btw. Looking at the head and the dorsal, this specimen must have swordtail and variatus platy influence.
Thanks. I thought because the back of her belly looked so dark that meant she's pregnant?
I'm here to learn for sure.

Can anyone also tell me what is a good ratio for male to females?

Thanks. I thought because the back of her belly looked so dark that meant she's pregnant?

IMO, a "good" ratio is all females, or all males....livebearers breed like mad, and they can overwhelm a tank in a very short amount of time, by their sheer numbers

Well at the moment there's 3 'proper' platys which are males and 3 females all similar looking (shape etc) to the one pictured above. I figured fry would make free live food for the other fish if that makes sense and I could let one have one lot of fry to grow in the other tank to teach my 4 children and let them learn and see

Well at the moment there's 3 'proper' platys which are males and 3 females all similar looking (shape etc) to the one pictured above. I figured fry would make free live food for the other fish if that makes sense and I could let one have one lot of fry to grow in the other tank to teach my 4 children and let them learn and see
Yes, if you have young children, they would certainly enjoy seeing new fry...I know my daughters did, when they were young

These are the others

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_141519.jpg
    IMG_20211112_141519.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20211112_141450.jpg
    IMG_20211112_141450.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20211112_141443.jpg
    IMG_20211112_141443.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20211112_141405.jpg
    IMG_20211112_141405.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20211112_141807.jpg
    IMG_20211112_141807.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 53
The fish in the first post look like swordtails or swordtail x platy. The swordtails are longer in the body and in particular the caudal peduncle region (between the belly and tail).

The fish in your later post (#8) are different colour forms of platies.

-------------
With common livebearers like swordtails, platies, guppies and mollies, you can either keep them in single sex groups (all males or all females), or have 1 male and 6 or preferably 10 or more females.

As a general rule I prefer single sex groups and if you want to breed them, add a male to the tank for a few weeks then get rid of him. The females can carry sperm packets for months and you will get babies for the next 6+ months and the females won't get harassed by males.

The fish in the first post look like swordtails or swordtail x platy. The swordtails are longer in the body and in particular the caudal peduncle region (between the belly and tail).

The fish in your later post (#8) are different colour forms of platies.

-------------
With common livebearers like swordtails, platies, guppies and mollies, you can either keep them in single sex groups (all males or all females), or have 1 male and 6 or preferably 10 or more females.

As a general rule I prefer single sex groups and if you want to breed them, add a male to the tank for a few weeks then get rid of him. The females can carry sperm packets for months and you will get babies for the next 6+ months and the females won't get harassed by males.
Brilliant advice. Thanks

To be honest, also non-pregnant females will show a gravid spot with some exceptions.

As I've already mentioned before overhere, this specimen looks like a cross between swordtail x variatus platy looking at the head and the dorsal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back