Can I have a definitive ID please

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 149562

My Apisto hates having photo's taken so its a case of hide behind a bush and wait patiently....and wait....and wait.....and wait til we finally foget that a human is outside the glass with a cameraphone.

I am not 100% sure of Apisto type.....sold as a Red Throat Viejita but when Googling I find all sorts of Apisto with this colouration

Can someone please put me out of my confuzzeld misery with a definitive ID

Introducing Firecracker...my Apisto

IMG_20220802_084421_resized_20220802_084450442.jpg

Thank you in advance

Thank you @CaptainBarnicles and @Wills :)

Firecracker is a handsome little devil (and knows it too lol)

Surprisingly there is absolutely no issues with aggression tween Firecracker and the Rams, Honey Gourami or the Cories. Biggest fish in the aquarium and a right softie.

That's a cultivar form of veijita, and a nice one. The trade names are a bit over the top. I knew a breeder of single, double and triple red cacatuoides cultivars, and he would triage the young into the 3 types. They can be from the same brood - some are more colourful than others. A lot of the fish farms will pair them with females that aren't linebred. to make it hard for you to compete with them. So in my view, the name doesn't matter. It's Apistogramma veijita, linebred red form.

Thank you @GaryE

When I first got the fish, about 18 months ago now, there was no red colouration at all and the black "stripe" was more black dots than stripe.

Over the last 4 or 5 months, the colours have really come out....although not clear on the photo, there are pale blue ish squiggles & spots on the face

Very quiet, a little shy fish....behaves really well with everyone.

I had a male very similar to yours that grew really large. He was a stunning fish - one of the prettiest I have ever seen. I really like wild Veijitas, and like the varieties of colour forms they have, but the cultivars like that are something to behold.

Thank you @GaryE

When I first got the fish, about 18 months ago now, there was no red colouration at all and the black "stripe" was more black dots than stripe.

Over the last 4 or 5 months, the colours have really come out....although not clear on the photo, there are pale blue ish squiggles & spots on the face

Very quiet, a little shy fish....behaves really well with everyone.
Not all cichlids are as their reputations even within the species it is possible to keep multiple in a tank without outright war :)

Vijeta are certainly a species to watch out for though - these and Hongsloi are really something special!

Not all cichlids are as their reputations even within the species it is possible to keep multiple in a tank without outright war :)

Vijeta are certainly a species to watch out for though - these and Hongsloi are really something special!
This is where I got my Apisto (and everyone else) from

Never had any issues with this supplier. always beautiful and very healthy fish delivered via courier from them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back