Can Anyone Identify These Killis?

kristins1877

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought 3 killifish from Petsmart. One of them I knoew what it was but the other two were listed as assorted killis and they had them for $1.75 - said they "just wanted to get rid of them" so I bought them. Anyway, the larger one has doubled in size and is starting to show alittle orange/red on the tips of the fins and is quite nasty - watched it stalk and eat the smaller guppies in the tank. Actually had to spit one out because it was too large and seemed to get stuck in its mouth. It likes to hang out at the top of the tank. The smaller one looks almost minnow-like with a slight red "vein-y" look around its mouth. Also is showing signs of aggression, nipping at the larger fish when they pass by. Seems to like to bury itself under the caves in the tank. Does anyone know what species they are or if I should remove them from my community tank?

(The first pic is the smaller one, and the second is the larger fish.)

Attachments

• small_killi.jpg
    small_killi.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 71
  • large_killi.jpg
    large_killi.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 68
I'll guess that they are young Aplocheilus Lineatus.... Is it a spot (or 2) of ich in the tailfin of the top one??

Well, now I am furiously inspecting all of the fish in the tank! I never noticed the spots until you pointed them out!

Well, now I am furiously inspecting all of the fish in the tank! I never noticed the spots until you pointed them out!

No alarm.... Was just wondering... Can you see those spots with the naked eye, or was it maybe on the camera lense??

I could see them. Seems very transparent on the tail, I think the camera made them alot brighter than they are. I just turned the temp up slightly and Im going to really watch the spots over the next day. None of the other fish seem affected, and I just did a 50% water change 2 days ago.

Those fish are in poor order M8,
Just another Petsmart fiasco.
How da hell do these folks get a licence.
Please take time to read my Aplo. thread above in pinned topics.
BigC

I hate to admit it, but to be honest, I have bought fish from "reputable" fish stores where I was told the people really know what they're talking about and my fish have been sick or died within a week of buying them. Petsmart (the store I go to anyway) seems to have the healthiest fish around here. Granted, the 16 year old clerks don't have a CLUE what their talking about...

Big C,

I actually read it shortly after Ludwig gave me an ID. Sounds just like my big one (just waiting for my neons to disappear along with my guppies) I don't think it should have been sold as "tropical community". The smaller one looks different tho... Mouth is not upturned like the other... maybe I have to wait for it to grow a little larger...

It does look a little different but I think (by the photos) that its possibly same sp. possible runt or female. (better pic would determine) Its a killi and the mouth will be upturned to a certain degree.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Back