Can a sick fish infect snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HakimChef

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a snail or two in my second tank which I use to hold sick, injured, or pregnant fish. Is it fine to add some snails to clean up a bit even if I have a sick fish in there?

Snails can transmit some parasitic worms and flukes to fish but they don't normally catch fish diseases. However, snails can be sensitive to some medications used to treat fish and might die during treatment and possibly foul the water.

As a general rule, sick/ hospital tanks should have as little stuff in them as possible to reduce hiding places for bacteria and parasites and to make treating the fish easier. Most hospital tanks have nothing in them except a heater, filter and airstone. However, you can have a thin layer of sand or gravel on the bottom and a few plastic plants to make the fish feel more secure.

Snails can transmit some parasitic worms and flukes to fish but they don't normally catch fish diseases. However, snails can be sensitive to some medications used to treat fish and might die during treatment and possibly foul the water.

As a general rule, sick/ hospital tanks should have as little stuff in them as possible to reduce hiding places for bacteria and parasites and to make treating the fish easier. Most hospital tanks have nothing in them except a heater, filter and airstone. However, you can have a thin layer of sand or gravel on the bottom and a few plastic plants to make the fish feel more secure.
Alright, thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back