Calling all fish tank decorators!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RenC

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank has been looking a little blah to me lately. Any suggestions on how to make mine look less empty and better than it does now? (Front two plants are live) I’m up for all suggestions :)
0F26C3BB-EE30-4292-9BD6-34C64D340159.jpeg

A background picture or black cardboard. Take the fake out and get ambulia and some Val or if you want a bit of colour narrow ludwigia is lovely with its red and yellow and green colour leaves.

A background picture or black cardboard. Take the fake out and get ambulia and some Val or if you want a bit of colour narrow ludwigia is lovely with its red and yellow and green colour leaves.
I’m a tad nervous about live plants as I don’t have much experience so I was leaning towards fake. But I can definitely look at live plants. Should I go for taller and put them near the back?

Yeah. And add floating plants! They are usually all hard to kill, super good for your fish, and will add something to the top. Frogbit, salvinia and dwarf water lettuce are all good choices

Yeah. And add floating plants! They are usually all hard to kill, super good for your fish, and will add something to the top. Frogbit, salvinia and dwarf water lettuce are all good choices
Thank you!! I’ll look into those too! How would I make sure that the plants didn’t bring in disease or any hitchhikers?

Oh and! After disease should I clean everything in a bleach solution or would a hot water rinse or everything and a wipe down of the tank work since I treated them in the tank? I don’t want to get rid of good bacteria as much as I can since my fish have been through so much stress recently

Yep, live plants are great you will be fine. Val is beautiful and hardy in the right conditions. Ambulia is really pretty to and all you need is a bunch and once it grows you can trim and replant the cuttings

Don’t straight bleach dip.. dilute a cap full or a bit more in water. Dip for a couple minutes with the roots out of the water and thoroughly rinse with water. I use aquarium salt and let them soak for a bit

Don’t straight bleach dip.. dilute a cap full or a bit more in water. Dip for a couple minutes with the roots out of the water and thoroughly rinse with water. I use aquarium salt and let them soak for a bit
Cool! Thank you for the advice cuz I was worried about adding live so soon after a disease outbreak I didn’t want to introduce anything bad to my tank again

Your current live plants are anubias and shouldn't be planted in the substrate. Eventually they will rot. Lift them up so the main part of the roots is above, or tie them to driftwood (best solution)

Your current live plants are anubias and shouldn't be planted in the substrate. Eventually they will rot. Lift them up so the main part of the roots is above, or tie them to driftwood (best solution)
Will do! Again thank you I do have a few of the roots poking out but I’ll move them up a bit more

Anubias have a rhizome. The leaves grow out of one side of the rhizome and the roots out of the other side. The rhizome needs to be above the substrate, but the roots can be under the substrate. But it is easier to attach it to decor so that the rhizome can't accidentally get buried.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back