Caesarean section

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is an emergency. The remaining two guppies I have in the tank are looking poorly. They are both hugely gravid. You can see the fry in the body cavity. However neither wants to give birth to their young. I am afraid that if the "mother" dies the young fry will die too. Has a caesarean ever been performed sucessfully on a guppy? If the mother dies would a CS still be possible?. I don't know enough about the anatomy of gravid guppys to try a CS. Obviously if there is a chance no matter how slim that she will have them herself, that would be brilliant. I'm just looking on the other side. The guppy is just hanging in the water with her back arched. If you can imagine picking up a fish by its dorsal fin and it comes out of the water limp, that is what the guppy looks like.

Dragonslair said:
If the mother dies would a CS still be possible
I don't know about guppies, but I once had a vet do a caesarian on a hamster! The mother lived, but sadly the babies all died.

I say, if the mother guppy dies, what have you got to lose?

Dragon,
The feamle may be egg bound. This is a condition not limited to birds. I will try to explain what to do:

Take the female in your hand and hold her just under the waters surface...now locate the area around her vent (breeding tube)..place your thumb and forefinger on either side of this area and VERY GENTLY squeeze. Do sort of a back and forth rubbing motion (like rubbing your thumb and finger together) across her sides at the same time.

Continue to do this until you see the fry...

I have never tried this with a livebearer before, but I assume it should work.

Larry

Keep us informed i would be very interested to know the out come i had a gravid guppy die a few weeks back and your idea never even crossed my mind and hence the fry died with her.

An excellent suggestion Larry I will pluck up the courage to have a go...watch this space. Do you think this procedure will kill the mother?

well i feel for you even though they are only little fish you still feel bad about things like this and i hope all goes well for you either way.

Dragon, If done GENTLY the mother should be fine.

I have used this procedure on young female frontosa before and it does work.

Good Luck!!!

Larry

Well I've had a go at massaging my guppys tummy and unfortunately she was none too happy. She had a white plug in her vent blocking the fry. I didn't want to rub too hard as I felt it could "split" her. So I gave up. She's still alive and hanging around the water- it doesn't seem as though she's any the worse after her ordeal. I think I'll let nature take its course and see what happens. :blush:

Dragonslair if you do the ceasarean then you could become a sturgeon surgeon :p :p :p

What do you think the "white plug" was? You couldn't "unplug" it? Maybe try again in a day...

Very funny Ostrow :laugh: :laugh:
The white plug is probably equivalent to human mucus> You're too young to know about such things gynaelogical to do with women. :blush:
Suffice to say that I don't have the fish skills to operate, even though I may be able to perform the same type of procedure in a human!!

I'm 36 and have a kid, so I've got a good idea. I had no idea fish ... oh never mind...

I'd think a repeat of that maneuver you already tried would do the trick...

Hello everyone, i am new to this site, but am thrilled to have found it. :D I have been searching for information on preforming a csetion on a fish, but have been able to locate anything. I was beginning to think i was nuts for even thinking it. :fun: I have lost 4 female guppys while in labor and have done everything that my fish store said, even adding salt to the water. Nothing has worked, and i am tired of replacing my guppy females as they all have died just when they look like they are about to explode with labor. I have 3 guppys females pregnant now and if they die, i am going to try the csection. I have been massaging them as i read, but nothing yet. I will keep you posted.
Thank you again I do not feel insane anymore :D
Sandy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back