Buying A 240 Gallon Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aegir

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have fifteen years of experience in the tropical aquarium hobby. I have owned several different types of fish and size tanks. Currently I have 6 55 gallon fish tanks and 1 120 gallon fish tank which have accumulated throughout the years. However, I would like to upgrade a few of my tanks into a 240 gallon wide tropical aquarium. Though I have a great deal of experience in fish tanks, and fish care, I would like to gather your opinion on the best types of filters, places I could buy a 240 gallon fish tank, and proper setup to reduce dead spots. The area that I want to set up this 240 gallon would be in a large temperature controlled, finished basement. I do not have any space constrictions, but I would like to set this tank up to maintain itself in the most efficient way possible. A colleague of mine recommended “Glass Cages” to purchase the tank, but I am not familiar with this company. I would highly appreciate any advice, recommendations, and/or comments you can add to this subject.

- Aegir

you could always build your own tank and take it to the next level.  It would allow you to custom fit the tank better to your home.  You should be able to purchase acrylic sheets cut to spec and then all you need to do is assemble.  

Vethian said:
you could always build your own tank and take it to the next level.  It would allow you to custom fit the tank better to your home.  You should be able to purchase acrylic sheets cut to spec and then all you need to do is assemble.  

Oh, I have heard about that. I fear not building it properly and then having the tank fail without warning. However, it most certainly would cut down on costs. 

not sure of US based custom build tanks. would look on a forum such as monster fish keepers. imagine a lot of them have had custom built tanks. filtration wise, you're looking at a sump for that size i would say. if not i would go for the eheim pro 3 2080. may need a couple?? i had one and loved it. 

heating wise, don't scrimp on the insulation, i've read in magazines of people in the uk having outdoor tanks and actually not being too bad to heat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back