Brown algae problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

smackitsakic

Reaction score
So my brown algae is spiralling out of control. I went from almost no noticeable algae a week ago to algae all over the place.

About two weeks ago I traded my common pleco (5ā€) for a small bristlenose (1.5ā€). Would this be to blame?!

Water levels are all normal. Ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates are 5-10ppm. Ph is about 8.

The lights are only on for 8-10 hours per day and the tank is never in direct sunlight. Temp is 79 degrees.

how do I get rid of this stuff? Itā€™s everywhere.

tank is 55 gallons and is stocked with glo tetras, neons, cherry barbs and Corycats. Nothing too crazy. No live plants.

see pics. What do I do?

Attachments

• ED013F3D-604B-40B0-9B4B-01670E2E38A0.jpeg
    ED013F3D-604B-40B0-9B4B-01670E2E38A0.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 17A053F2-6988-4697-8297-2DE2122E4385.jpeg
    17A053F2-6988-4697-8297-2DE2122E4385.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 50
  • A7A16652-2FF6-43B1-9AF6-56AE97BC7DFE.jpeg
    A7A16652-2FF6-43B1-9AF6-56AE97BC7DFE.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 51
Not sure I can help you, someone else here definitely can.

Im of the mind that I donā€™t particularly dislike algae if itā€™s kept in check. I do have live plants in my tank and will be adding some critters to eat algae in the future.

most of the theory Iā€™ve heard on this issue seems to stem from an imbalance in the water of nutrients vs lighting vs organisms to consume the nutrients.

I canā€™t give you specifics but some people ā€œblack outā€ their tank for a few days to kill off the algae. meaning to cut off all light.

some other suggestions might include additional water changes and reduced feeding to get those nutrients down.

you will need to follow others advice here or do your homework elsewhere to find out exactly how it should be done and whether it will help against this specific type of algae

good luck, and ill keep an eye on this thread to pick up tips myself.

Algae grows from excess light and or excess nutrients. If you have live plants in the aquarium, they will use the light and nutrients and reduce the algae. Without live plants in the tank, algae will grow.

Either reduce the lighting period or add some live plants.

Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a great floating plant for aquariums. It grows quickly on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate.

My problem persists. I canā€™t seem to get rid of this brown algae. I have reduced the lighting a lot, down to about 2 cycles of 3 hours each per day. I have also reduced feeding to a small amount once per day and an even smaller amount in the evening. Still canā€™t stop the algae. I also did a deep clean last weekend - cleaned the glass amd cleaned all the ornaments. Theyā€™re all covered in brown again 10 days later.
I donā€™t have any live plants.

what else should I be trying?

could water changes be to blame? I have been doing 40-50% per week.

I donā€™t have any live plants.
Add some live plants. Look for Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows rapidly on the surface and can also be planted in the gravel.

Water changes do not cause algae problems. It is caused by too much light or nutrients, or no live plants to use the light and nutrients. Unless you add live plants, you will get algae growing instead. You could also reduce your lighting to 3 hours in the evening and that should limit the algae.

my brown algae started like yours and now looks like the pictures below, they clog the sponge on my filter and basket the sponge comes in so no water can get through they clog the inside of the uptake to the point of having to clean it several times a day. We finally removed everything from the tank including the clay gravel and rinsed it well. Rinsed and scrubbed the inside of the aquarium (ours are light because they are acrylic) - with our glass one we just emptied the water the best we could, then kept diluting the old water with fresh until the water was clear again. Then put it all back together. It has not come back any place except the filter basketbasket so I guess you have to change your entire filter too.
Gunky stuff on aquarium filter basket.jpg

Attachments

• Gunky stuff from aquarium water.jpg
    Gunky stuff from aquarium water.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Brown gunky stuff from the aquarium.jpg
    Brown gunky stuff from the aquarium.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 32

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back