Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Brown algae in my tank

Discussion in 'Algae Removal' started by sid014, Aug 5, 2019.

1. sid014

sid014 New Member

Recently I discovered that there is small brown bits that have started to grow on the glass of my tank and the plants.
    I have a new 10 gallon tank with real plants that include amazon sword, java fern and a plant that somewhat looks like cryptocoryne but i dont know what it is. I don't have a co2 diffuser. I keep my tank lit for 8hrs each day.

Further more I am currently fishlessly cycling my tank with bacteria in a bottle and fish food flakes.

Plz suggest how to remove this brown algae development. Is it harmful for my aquarium and I do have some snails that appeared in my tank. Will they eat this brown algae.

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I am going to add cardinal tetras (4pair) in the future after cycling completion.

2. seangee

seangee Member

Wipe it off if it bothers you? It is quite common in new tanks and will disappear on its own within a couple of weeks. No need to do anything.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. sid014

sid014 New Member

Thanks @seangee can you plz tell me if the snail's will eat it or not.

4. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

The snails can help but won’t Keep up with it. It is common in new tanks and something many of us have to deal with. It can last several months but eventually dies off. Until then, wipe it off as much as you can. Good luck!

5. Byron

Byron Member

I guess it is being assumed this "brown algae" is diatoms, and if so I concur with advice to date. If it comes off easily with your fingertips, it is diatoms. If not, it is more likely black beard/brush algae which often is very dark brown and very hard to remove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lee_k

lee_k Member

Sorry to hijack! In terms of diatoms on plants, is it best to wipe it off or just leave it to die away itself. Dont want to end up ripping or pulling off leaves!!