Brown algae in my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sid014

Reaction score
Recently I discovered that there is small brown bits that have started to grow on the glass of my tank and the plants.
I have a new 10 gallon tank with real plants that include amazon sword, java fern and a plant that somewhat looks like cryptocoryne but i dont know what it is. I don't have a co2 diffuser. I keep my tank lit for 8hrs each day.

Further more I am currently fishlessly cycling my tank with bacteria in a bottle and fish food flakes.

Plz suggest how to remove this brown algae development. Is it harmful for my aquarium and I do have some snails that appeared in my tank. Will they eat this brown algae.

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I am going to add cardinal tetras (4pair) in the future after cycling completion.

Wipe it off if it bothers you? It is quite common in new tanks and will disappear on its own within a couple of weeks. No need to do anything.

The snails can help but won’t Keep up with it. It is common in new tanks and something many of us have to deal with. It can last several months but eventually dies off. Until then, wipe it off as much as you can. Good luck!

I guess it is being assumed this "brown algae" is diatoms, and if so I concur with advice to date. If it comes off easily with your fingertips, it is diatoms. If not, it is more likely black beard/brush algae which often is very dark brown and very hard to remove.

Sorry to hijack! In terms of diatoms on plants, is it best to wipe it off or just leave it to die away itself. Dont want to end up ripping or pulling off leaves!!

You should remove it as soon as possible. I heard that it can take oxygen from your water and use it for themselves. So if you have any fish that could die from low oxygen (bettas can do fine). I changed my gravel to sand later on because it would been easier to do when it came on the substrate. When I removed it, it kept coming back but now after some water changes and changing my substrate it stopped.

Last edited:
If it’s brown algae I would keep up with it by wiping it off.

Yes, keep wiping it off. Use a sponge, or your hands, which ever one is easier for you. Just make sure to use a new sponge, that has never come in contact with any soaps, or harsh substances. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back