Breeding Red Cherrys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DomH

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was looking for any tips on breeding red cherry shrimps. In the tank I have two moss balls, a sponge filter, dwarf baby tears, and aqua soil for the plants. I feed them hikari shrimp cuisine and once in a while an algae wafer. Anything I should add to the tank or take out. Any tips are appreciated.

Thank you,

Dom

It is best not to feed 'shrimp pellets' to shrimp.  Shrimp pellets means that the pellets are made of shrimp.

Breeding red cherries is pretty easy.  Just add water... feed, etc.

Thanks for pointing out that mistake, just finished editing it. 

Gotcha.  There's a big difference.  Not everyone is aware of that.

Shrimp need hiding place for molting and breeding.  Otherwise you fish will eat them or at a minimum injure them severely.   The baby tears is a good start.  Any low growing plant will do such as grass or moss.  Also if you are using RO, distilled or very soft water the shrimp will not be able to molt due to lake of calcium or magnesium in the water.  If you don't know if your water is hard or soft I would get  GH (general hardness) and KH (Total Alkalinity) test kits.  I use RO water in my aquarium and I had no success until I added calcium and magnesium.  Adding one or two decorative snail shells to the aquarium will keep your water at appropriate levels GH, KH for shrimp to survive.   Decorative snail shells will slowly dissolve int the water but should last several years in a tank filled with very soft water.

I was under the impression that this was a shrimp only tank.  

They are very easy to breed shouldn't need much intervention on your part by the sounds of things if you can keep the adults fine, providing you have a pair? females are larger and bright red whilst males tend to be more clear with a few reddish spots most of the time, how long have you had them and can we see a pic 
smile.png

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_0341 (1).JPG
    IMG_0341 (1).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 139
Very nice.  Once those plants grow in a bit more it will be truly lovely!

(BTW... folks around here are absolutely gaga for pictures.  :lol:  Always nice to see them included in threads.)  

Nice tank, I can count at least 8 although they all look rather red to me so may all be possibly females though they may with a bit of luck be holding young the young are tiny like a pencil tip to begin with so very difficult to see, good luck 
yes.gif

I would add a few more bits of wood some Flame moss or similar, and some Indian Almond leaf, Let the IAL rot in the tank the shrimp will feed on the microbes as it breaks down.

I started with 10 Red Cherry shrimp about a year ago I now have so many they are basically fish food, they breed faster than pest snails, Even the ones in my Betta tanks breed faster than my Bettas can eat them.

As I have Bn plecos in the tanks I do not feed the shrimp they eat the same stuff as my BN's.

Okay cool thanks for the tips

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back