April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alliesal28

Reaction score
I just got 2 new luxozonas cory cats. One of them is doing great and the other was rough from the start. He swam through some bubbles and looked a little wobbly. Then he was just laying on the bottom. After a while I noticed him having a hard time keeping himself straight. Eventually he was laying on the bottom sideways. When other fish would come near him he would swim away. He can stay upright when he swims but only for short bursts. This all happened within about 2 hours of bringing him home. I've read that it could possibly be the depth or constipation. I really hope it's not swim bladder. My tank is a 30 gallon bowfront that's about 25.5 inches deep. As soon as I saw him getting worse I moved him to the medical tank. I can't even turn the filter on because the current pushes him on his side. What caused this to happen and how can I help him? He is laying on the bottom of the med tank upright but he's not moving at all.
I checked the water and the conditions are all good. My other new fish are doing fine and my current fish are all happy. I have 3 other cory's that are doing fine.

Pictures and video of the fish?
Stick the video on YouTube and copy & paste the link here.

Put the fish back in the main tank and reduce the water level. Or put the fish in a breeding net in the main tank so it is close to the surface. Put a plant in the breeding net with it so it feels safe.

Give it a few days and see if it improves.

Pictures and video of the fish?
Stick the video on YouTube and copy & paste the link here.

Put the fish back in the main tank and reduce the water level. Or put the fish in a breeding net in the main tank so it is close to the surface. Put a plant in the breeding net with it so it feels safe.

Give it a few days and see if it improves.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's a swim bladder issue? Also, just wondering why you recommend putting him back in the main tank in case this happens again. He seems very delicate right now so that's why I took him out.

Do you think it's a swim bladder issue?
No.

just wondering why you recommend putting him back in the main tank in case this happens again.
If there is no filter in the quarantine tank, the water quality can deteriorate quickly and make the fish sicker. Assuming the main tank has an established filter and good water quality, the conditions in the main tank should be better/ more stable for the fish.

No.

If there is no filter in the quarantine tank, the water quality can deteriorate quickly and make the fish sicker. Assuming the main tank has an established filter and good water quality, the conditions in the main tank should be better/ more stable for the fish.
I turned the filter on. The water he was in was partially from the main aquarium and partially dechlorinated water. I'm really really hoping he recovers. I've have 10 young corys and never had any of them die so this is a first. I just have no clue what's wrong with him. The other one I brought home seems to be doing okay.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back