Bogwood Vs Driftwood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is the difference between bogwood and driftwood?
Bog wood can be a form of driftwood. Just bog wood more specifically comes from peat bogs with anaerobic decay. Its kinda irrelevant as they do they same in in a fish tank usually.

Drift wood is any wood that is found a drift. So it floats. This is often dead wood that is not yet water logged. It can be found on a beach or big lake. The " driftwood" you buy for your aquarium is just dry wood for the most part.

Bogwood is wood like He said has been sitting in water under peat in a swamp like setting for a long time. it is water logged and due to the peat will help lower the ph. This wood is in a way preserved and takes longer to decay. Real bog wood is not cheap and can be hard to find. It's like a fine wines that has been aged.

Then you have mopani wood this is a very dense wood from Africa that sinks with out being water logged. Dense wood takes a long time to decay so that's good for your aquarium. But this wood is not drift wood or bog wood it is mopani wood.

What is the difference between bogwood and driftwood?
Bog wood can be a form of driftwood. Just bog wood more specifically comes from peat bogs with anaerobic decay. Its kinda irrelevant as they do they same in in a fish tank usually.

lol, i think the idea is that the wood is NOT rotted/decayed, because of the anaerobic conditions. as to whether its
irrelevant
its down to the fish you keep. some gnaw on the wood. mapani is very hard, and not to the taste of some. i also find it gives off more tannins than bogwood. driftwood, does decay. unless it hads been under water for many years, prior to being washed up. and needs to be waterlogged before it the remotest use (as snowflake311 states). bogwood, if its quality, will sink. but it does break up, especially if you have common type plecos.

Ha, then this whole time my wood has been bog, not drift. It sank like a rock the first time I put it in a tank. The pleco part would also explain why pieces are coming off...

Ha, then this whole time my wood has been bog, not drift. It sank like a rock the first time I put it in a tank. The pleco part would also explain why pieces are coming off...

lol, probably. my pleco has "shaped" its bogwood, to create a shelter. its hollowed out the underside1 and leaves bits all over the tank.

Can't get my plecos off of the Mopani wood they love it

lol, both bits, i have, shows area where there is no bio film. so he likes to rasp it. he does not seem to eat the bog wood. just mess up the tank so i have to clean it. I have never had driftwood. personally i feel, anything that's that hard to make sink, shouldn't be sunk. lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back