Bobbitt worm

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mine was given to me for free from the store owner. I love shoping at that store since they always give me free corals.
Dang, they must really like you! Hammers over here usually run for $150-$300.

I think it would be cool if my LFS did a "buy x amount get a free frag" sort of thing. That would definitely motivate me to shop there more often...

I think it would be cool if my LFS did a "buy x amount get a free frag" sort of thing. That would definitely motivate me to shop there more often...
ah yes, my lfs has a bunch of those deals
snail 3.99
buy 3 for only $10
plant $5 buy 3 for only $12

Jeebus! Those are insane prices! When I was still in the SW game I could pick up euphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, etc.) for about $45 for small frags. Paid $75 for a branching hammer with four large heads.

Jeebus! Those are insane prices! When I was still in the SW game I could pick up euphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, etc.) for about $45 for small frags. Paid $75 for a branching hammer with four large heads.
wow....
do you think the $5 zoas are worth it?
or will they die...
i might do a mini saltwater with no fish or shrimp just corals

wow....
or will they die...
I like pretty much all corals even cheap ones. As long as they aren’t covered in vermetid snails and you dip your frags then you can’t really go wrong. A coral shouldn’t die on you just because they don’t cost a lot. As long as you meet their light and food requirements and the water chemistry is stable they should do just fine. My very first coral I bought was a dirt cheap unnamed zoa from Petco and it ended up covering one of my rocks and was beautiful. The longer you stay in the SW game the more you’ll see people bragging about the fancy designer “Super Plush Radioactive Zombie Killer Mango Blast” etc. corals that they picked up for $100 a head. Sure they look cool but they are essentially the same creature and not really better in any way than the regular stuff you pick up at a local shop. Just my two cents.

I like pretty much all corals even cheap ones. As long as they aren’t covered in vermetid snails and you dip your frags then you can’t really go wrong. A coral shouldn’t die on you just because they don’t cost a lot. As long as you meet their light and food requirements and the water chemistry is stable they should do just fine. My very first coral I bought was a dirt cheap unnamed zoa from Petco and it ended up covering one of my rocks and was beautiful. The longer you stay in the SW game the more you’ll see people bragging about the fancy designer “Super Plush Radioactive Zombie Killer Mango Blast” etc. corals that they picked up for $100 a head. Sure they look cool but they are essentially the same creature and not really better in any way than the regular stuff you pick up at a local shop. Just my two cents.
just searched up vermetid snail, they look cool.
cool!!!
but ill have to get another tank... how big should i get it and what should i dip it in?
lights?

just searched up vermetid snail, they look cool.
cool!!!
but ill have to get another tank... how big should i get it and what should i dip it in?
lights?

They may look cool but can do a number on a tank and once they establish themselves it is incredibly difficult to get rid of them.

Hard to really say with SW (tank size, lights, etc.). A lot of it has to do with your personal budget. The bigger the tank the better as the water chemistry remains more stable, but larger tanks generally require much more pricey equipment to support them. A decent-sized protein skimmer, for example, can cost several hundred dollars, and that isn’t including the sump system you would need to put it in.

I don’t want to totally hijack this thread. I’m relatively new to this site but if it has a private messaging system hit me up and I can discuss the basics of what is needed and what shortcuts you can take and still have a healthy sustainable setup while keeping costs low.

They may look cool but can do a number on a tank and once they establish themselves it is incredibly difficult to get rid of them.

Hard to really say with SW (tank size, lights, etc.). A lot of it has to do with your personal budget. The bigger the tank the better as the water chemistry remains more stable, but larger tanks generally require much more pricey equipment to support them. A decent-sized protein skimmer, for example, can cost several hundred dollars, and that isn’t including the sump system you would need to put it in.

I don’t want to totally hijack this thread. I’m relatively new to this site but if it has a private messaging system hit me up and I can discuss the basics of what is needed and what shortcuts you can take and still have a healthy sustainable setup while keeping costs low.
yes ill private message you. i mostly just want to know about it since i maybe will do it.

Yeesh, you get some cheap corals. You are near the coast, so corals might be easier to get? We are land-locked here in Kentucky, so fish/coral prices are steep. ?

wow....
or will they die...
I got a $10 zoa a little over a week ago and it’s doing wonderful:
B2F1CD4E-65F7-4759-861E-ACF5617E9F46.jpeg
81A32F31-420A-47C2-8E1D-A672C6C85A9E.jpeg

——

yes ill private message you. i mostly just want to know about it since i maybe will do it.
Definitely make a build/general question thread and tag me, @BluewaterBoof, and @Colin_T. We can help you! :)

Yeesh, you get some cheap corals. You are near the coast, so corals might be easier to get? We are land-locked here in Kentucky, so fish/coral prices are steep. ?

I got a $10 zoa a little over a week ago and it’s doing wonderful:
View attachment 137021View attachment 137022
——

Definitely make a build/general question thread and tag me, @BluewaterBoof, and @Colin_T. We can help you! :)
cool! as far as i know i wont be doing saltwater for a while...
cool zoa, whats the algae like thing growing from the base?

If I was a big Hollywood producer I would produce a movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon vs Giant Bobbit Worm". Only in my version of the movie the worm would be 15 feet long. The Creature would be the hero saving the scantily dressed woman from the Bobbit Worm.

If I was a big Hollywood producer I would produce a movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon vs Giant Bobbit Worm". Only in my version of the movie the worm would be 15 feet long. The Creature would be the hero saving the scantily dressed woman from the Bobbit Worm.
who's the creature?
a werewolf?
>:D

cool! as far as i know i wont be doing saltwater for a while...
cool zoa, whats the algae like thing growing from the base?
That’s just algae growing on the rock it is attached to. Algae will grow on the rock (that’s why they are called “frags”) but not on the actual coral.

That’s just algae growing on the rock it is attached to. Algae will grow on the rock (that’s why they are called “frags”) but not on the actual coral.
oh, makes sense.
yeah its like how algae dosent grow on fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back