Bobbitt worm

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Yup, Bobbit worms are some nasty stuff. They also leave spines in your hands/arms, if you donā€™t handle them with protective gear.

When I had my reef tanks I used those giant thick gloves that would go all the way up to your elbows whenever I had to handle frags and rocks. I never worried about bobbit worms but I was always on the lookout for bristle worms. Besides, I didnā€™t like touching corals and nems with my bare hands. It was an aversion that I could never quite bring myself to overcome.

this is truly something out of a 90s horror film
1621440420041.png

Thatā€™s actually an amazing photo. I love macro shot of creatures and that one looks great. Itā€™s a terrifying creature but I canā€™t help but marvel at its design.
its almost alien ish
it looks like a water centipede...

Thatā€™s actually an amazing photo. I love macro shot of creatures and that one looks great. Itā€™s a terrifying creature but I canā€™t help but marvel at its design.
also, can i ask what is so bad about aptasia anemones? are they like algae in a freshwater tank?

also, can i ask what is so bad about aptasia anemones? are they like algae in a freshwater tank?

Aiptasia nems can wreck havoc on a tank. They can spread fairly easy and sting any corals nearby. I haven't had the displeasure of having them but I've heard they can be a real pain to try to eradicate from a tank.

Aiptasia nems can wreck havoc on a tank. They can spread fairly easy and sting any corals nearby. I haven't had the displeasure of having them but I've heard they can be a real pain to try to eradicate from a tank.
oh ok.
what about other nems? dont the clownfish need them?
or will there be no coral with the tanks with clownfish>

When I had my reef tanks I used those giant thick gloves that would go all the way up to your elbows whenever I had to handle frags and rocks. I never worried about bobbit worms but I was always on the lookout for bristle worms. Besides, I didnā€™t like touching corals and nems with my bare hands. It was an aversion that I could never quite bring myself to overcome.
I never touch my coral with bare hands... especially my zoa. ?

Once I get a BTA, I wonā€™t be touching that with bare hands either.

oh ok.
what about other nems? dont the clownfish need them?
or will there be no coral with the tanks with clownfish>

It depends on the type of nem. Only certain nems will form a symbiotic relationship with certain clownfish and even if you get two compatible ones it isn't always guaranteed that the fish will be hosted by the nem. Some people will have a clown that never pairs up with the anemone in the tank. I had a Sunset Mocha clownfish and it never even once tried to go anywhere near my bubble-tip anemone.

You can definitely keep clowns in a tank without a nem, and you can sometimes keep a nem in a reef tank. Anemones can be frustrating in that they will move if they are not happy in a certain spot, and they can potentially mess up the corals they come into contact with during their journey. Some grow truly massive while others stay relatively small. Some tend to stay put and others like to wander. And sometimes you'll get a nem that stays in one spot for months and then you come home to a mess in the tank because it just decided start moving around one day and got pulled up and diced by one of your wavemakers :confused: It's because of this uncertainty in their nature that one has to really think about if they want to really commit to having an anemone in their tank and understand all of the risks they are taking.

hammer corals are so cool !!!!
Expensive and hard to keep, but yes, very cool. :)

It depends on the type of nem. Only certain nems will form a symbiotic relationship with certain clownfish and even if you get two compatible ones it isn't always guaranteed that the fish will be hosted by the nem. Some people will have a clown that never pairs up with the anemone in the tank. I had a Sunset Mocha clownfish and it never even once tried to go anywhere near my bubble-tip anemone.

You can definitely keep clowns in a tank without a nem, and you can sometimes keep a nem in a reef tank. Anemones can be frustrating in that they will move if they are not happy in a certain spot, and they can potentially mess up the corals they come into contact with during their journey. Some grow truly massive while others stay relatively small. Some tend to stay put and others like to wander. And sometimes you'll get a nem that stays in one spot for months and then you come home to a mess in the tank because it just decided start moving around one day and got pulled up and diced by one of your wavemakers :confused: It's because of this uncertainty in their nature that one has to really think about if they want to really commit to having an anemone in their tank and understand all of the risks they are taking.
Well said. :good:

Mine was given to me for free from the store owner. I love shoping at that store since they always give me free corals.
WHAT??? that is so cool!
well the shop owner gave me 2 nerites for free once
he was probably too lazy to remove them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back